Author Topic: s cams  (Read 47824 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: November 12, 2013, 05:54:48 pm
does anyone know anything about the latest batch of s cams??

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:27 pm
Hi Armando and everyone else who might want to know about the 'S' cams.
Yes, a batch of 6 sets are being made. As usual, the makers are taking a long time, too long, but they do a good job. One set is spoken for here in the U.K., for a machine I am tuning for its' owner, the other 5 sets will go to the first 5 'orders', with any drop outs passed on to the next in line. More cams can be made at shorter notice [so the makers tell me], should more sets be required after the above 5 are spoken for. Sorry for any inconvenience, but this part of it is beyond my control. I have considered getting them made elsewhere, but these are proven to work well and the design is 'on file', so repeat batches come out the same as the first and for this reason I am sticking with this manufacturer, also the quality is very good. I have also heard it suggested that this cam type might be copied and made in India soon. I will not take any responsibility for or be associated with these cams in any way, should they become available.
 B.W.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:53:18 pm
BW,  can you please see that I am on the list.  I will not drop out and i will pay up as soon as they are ready to be shipped to good ole Jersey across the pond.

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:06 am
Hi Paul,
Can you also confirm my order for a set. Awaiting and in the meanwhile I also got a TM 34 in anticipation of the cams.

Additionally, I don't think anyone in India maybe able to 'build' these cam knowing the kind of machinery and the intellect of the machine shops here. This kind of work is too esoteric and the material used will always be suspect. I know from sad experience when I had used locally made cams for my 350CI - all 'claimed' Indian 'S'/performance cams are just plain useless and a waste of hard earned money >:(. I went back to the original cams in the engine now. Like a wise man said, " If you give peanuts and you'll get Monkeys" !!

Regards,
Tej
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:45:12 am by TejK »

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:34 am
Hi BW , please put me on the list,  just got my gasket kit from  Nfield gear, ready to reassemble
     Matt in Glendale, Arizona

St1g9203

• Scooter
  • Ride hard.. thump harder
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:52:10 pm
Please add me to the list. for my AVL 350

City of Biryani and pearl, India
Ride hard.. thump harder

bajasteve

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:11:00 pm
Hi, looks like they have all been spoken for. Can I ask what they go for and how they differ from standard cams?
Thanks,
Steve.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:09 pm
im no expert but i believe theyll let you rev past 6000 rpm

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:31:25 am
+1. I believe they let the engine breath much better and without valve bounce leading to higher revs equating to higher power + top end.
Can't wait to try them.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:32 pm
yeah i really hope i get a set. i feel like ive been bugging the BW about too much but i want a set so bad!

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:35 pm
BW,
  Lot of interest in the cams, please put me on your list. Could you describe how the "S" cams might be different than the performance cams Hitchcocks advertises? If I can get a set of "yours" I'm wondering about other options.
Thanks Much,
Bill N.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:10 pm
BW,
  Lot of interest in the cams, please put me on your list. Could you describe how the "S" cams might be different than the performance cams Hitchcocks advertises? If I can get a set of "yours" I'm wondering about other options.
Thanks Much,
Bill N.
Hi Bill - well I am taken aback by the interest shown this time round and I will try to see that everyone who wants a set gets one, but it may mean waiting for another batch and they are slow in coming, sadly. The 'S' cams were a fairly soft Redditch pattern from the late fifties. Basically, without repeating the whole story, I did the R&D work on an Electra X tuning package for Hitchcocks and many cam types were tested, some boosted power, but none gave an increase in RPM, due to a violent inlet valve bounce around 5,800 RPM. I had tried all the cams and timing combinations I thought might work, with no real luck, and then I spotted some old cams lying around - they didn't look very exciting, but just so I could say I had tried everything, I gave them a go. An hour earlier, I hit 87 MPH flat out in 5th [top] gear on this machine, with these old cams in it reached 95 MPH in 4th! Top gear and almost flat on the tank [in very heavy rain, with waterproof jacket, leggings etc], I hit 103 MPH, job done and the machine went back to Hitchcocks, with all my notes. I recommended the 'S' cams for the kit, but they already had something to offer, apparently, so these cams never made it into the kit. I took it upon myself to get some made and two batches sold out completely - this next will be the third - they also work well in the 'Classic' or 'Iron' engines and a couple of my 'Asbo' engines have them installed, although no two of these engines are identical.
 I will try to make sure anyone who wants a set, gets them, but please bear with me, the makers take a long time and batches of 6 sets are all I really want to stick my neck on the line for at present.
 Thanks to all for your interest and understanding.
 B.W.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:53:53 pm
BW you are the man! i hope i can get a set on this batch coming around.  So excited to do the ton!

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 08:47:04 pm
I can wait...
            Matt Johnson
              Glendale , Arizona

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 02:40:31 am
BW,
  I appreciate your detailed response. It's near winter-time here in Montana, so the Enfield is now laying near dormant for the next few months. But this is prime-time to be working on improvements for next year. Not sure how long your cam list is, but please be sure my name appears. If you end up with a few no-takers on the due batch just let me know. As I pushed my AVL to it's 80mph limit I wondered how to make it breath harder. Sounds like you have my answer.
Thanks Much,
Bill N