Author Topic: s cams  (Read 47778 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #135 on: August 04, 2014, 02:06:55 am
i put the br6es equivalent that my local autoparts store had its a autolite 404 the thing would not start for the love of god with the 8
Well, I guess you have to do what you have to do, but using a way too hot plug to overcome poor carburetor tuning is not a recommended method.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #136 on: August 04, 2014, 06:33:15 am
Armando - What carb are you running? and what are the jet sizes?

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #137 on: August 05, 2014, 12:16:14 am
i appriecate any criticism and advice given please do.  Im running the TM32 with stock needle in stock position with 200 main and 35 pilot.  i might have a 40 pilot in it i dont remember as im running a velocity stack. ill pull it off tomorrow and take a look.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:31 am
i appriecate any criticism and advice given please do.  Im running the TM32 with stock needle in stock position with 200 main and 35 pilot.  i might have a 40 pilot in it i dont remember as im running a velocity stack. ill pull it off tomorrow and take a look.
I would drop down to a 30 pilot and a 185 main for your elevation and summer temps.
P4 needle jet , too.

Get the bike started and warmed up.
Then, use the small air bleed screw to find the highest idle speed you can find by turning it in or out until you reach that highest idle speed.
Then use the big idle speed screw to set the final idle speed around 1000 rpm. Not excessively slow, but stable idle speed.
That should get you pretty close to there.
You'll need to do some plug chops to get the right needle height, but you can try starting out with the clip at the 2nd groove from the top.

My guess is that you were too rich, and needed that hot plug to fire all that raw wet fuel.
Go back to the B8ES plug.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:51:34 am by ace.cafe »

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #139 on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:03 am
Thanks Ace! ill try to get to my supplier tomorrow if i get done plumbing early enough.  I live in jersey and its been around 85-90 degrees.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #140 on: August 05, 2014, 06:53:26 am
Tom is right about the jetting part.

I will tell you my jetting - I am running a VM34 with 30 pilot, 220 mains but again even with 220 mains I am running rich on a 34 and pilot is right on target!

So for a 32mm carb, even if it's a flatslide, I think the 35 pilot will make you run real rich.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: September 07, 2014, 03:50:44 am
A quick question on the S cams... What would one expect to see in terms of max rpms with the s cams on a stock setup?  Ballpark...

Why do I ask?... I was really laying into it tonight and in both 2nd and 3rd I experienced a rev limiting phenomena. Valves bouncing? I can't say at what rpm. It was dark and I couldn't read the cheapo digi tach (magnetic pulse pickup basically). The tach records max rpm; told me 10,400 and I cannot believe that at all...

Anyone else find out the top end on the s cams?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: September 07, 2014, 04:29:27 am
A quick question on the S cams... What would one expect to see in terms of max rpms with the s cams on a stock setup?  Ballpark...

Why do I ask?... I was really laying into it tonight and in both 2nd and 3rd I experienced a rev limiting phenomena. Valves bouncing? I can't say at what rpm. It was dark and I couldn't read the cheapo digi tach (magnetic pulse pickup basically). The tach records max rpm; told me 10,400 and I cannot believe that at all...

Anyone else find out the top end on the s cams?
In the lower gears, it is possible to exceed safe rpm limits.  At some point, the valve springs will lose control, and the valves could float, which can result in damage.
I don't know how high you went, but if you plan to do more of that, it would be advised to get a better tach with a light.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: September 07, 2014, 05:03:01 am
In the lower gears, it is possible to exceed safe rpm limits.  At some point, the valve springs will lose control, and the valves could float, which can result in damage.
I don't know how high you went, but if you plan to do more of that, it would be advised to get a better tach with a light.

Thanks Ace, i figured it wasnt good.  I'll stay below 6000 just to make certain... think i need some better valves and springs!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:08 am
I could get the original testbed machine past 7000 rpm once the 'S' cams were installed, however, I was also using double competition valve springs by then, these having already been fitted in a failed attempt to control the valve bounce experienced at 5800 rpm with the standard cams.
 As a matter of interest, maximum power occurred at 6000 rpm on this machine, but it continued to pull well to 7000 rpm, although those revs made me cringe a bit !! 100 mph was achieved at about 6200 rpm on this machine, which used an 18" rear wheel and one extra tooth on the gearbox sprocket.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:26 pm
The TM32 is pretty much maxxed out at 6200 rpm anyway, so there is not much point in going higher than that. It just stresses the engine more, and doesn't increase power. If you were racing, and had to hold on to a lead by revving higher to the finish line or something, that might be a reason. But for street riding, it's not really necessary.
If you want 7000 rpm, you need a TM34 which is good to nearly 7000 rpm. You could use a 36 for 7200+ rpm, but that's getting into another custom manifold because our alloy manifolds do not fit the 36. And that is getting into short lifespan engine territory, especially with a stock bottom end.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: September 07, 2014, 03:35:59 pm
The TM32 is pretty much maxxed out at 6200 rpm anyway, so there is not much point in going higher than that. It just stresses the engine more, and doesn't increase power. If you were racing, and had to hold on to a lead by revving higher to the finish line or something, that might be a reason. But for street riding, it's not really necessary.
If you want 7000 rpm, you need a TM34 which is good to nearly 7000 rpm. You could use a 36 for 7200+ rpm, but that's getting into another custom manifold because our alloy manifolds do not fit the 36. And that is getting into short lifespan engine territory, especially with a stock bottom end.

Does this info vary for my build being that I am feeding 2 - 350 cylinders?  I believe you said the TM32 should be good for about 6800 RPMs on my build?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: September 07, 2014, 03:51:25 pm
Does this info vary for my build being that I am feeding 2 - 350 cylinders?  I believe you said the TM32 should be good for about 6800 RPMs on my build?
Yes, it's different for your bike. It is based on airflow demand which is much lower for your 350cc cylinders. Your bike has a ceiling of 8250 rpm with one TM32 on each cylinder(in normally aspirated form) before it hits mach-index choke. It may be able to rev higher than that if the cams permit, but the power should peak in the vicinity of 8250 rpm with enough cam to reach that. I don't have enough experience with your cam specs and platform to know if those cams will take you all the way with the increased rocker ratio. Since this is a first ever, it will yield the necessary data in testing. I think it can make it, but we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:21:38 am by ace.cafe »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: September 08, 2014, 04:03:25 am
Thanks all. Went out again today in the daylight. 6000 rpm is indeed when the power tops out. It'll pull till about 6500 in lower gears with no bounce. So I must have been a wee bit higher last night  ::) ::) now I know what to listen for... Sure do like the cams!  Next plan is to get the head to ace at the end of this season.
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #149 on: September 08, 2014, 11:55:10 am
6500 rpm is pretty dam hot! :)