Author Topic: Harbor Freight 110dB Dual Horns  (Read 4395 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 06, 2014, 09:32:37 pm
       Does anyone who has installed these horns agree with me that the "Waring Diagram" is totally incorrect?

It shows the Switch going to #85. Shouldn't the switch go to #86?

#85 should go to Ground.

It shows a jumper from #30 (Hot fused 12V from Battery) to #86. How can THAT work?

Could the included relay be internally different from all other relays I'm used to?  Should I throw it out & go get one from Auto Zone? 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:24:05 pm
I don't see a problem.

The power going to terminal 86 provides power to the magnetic coil.  Terminal 85 also is connected to the magnetic coil and serves to complete the circuit and actuate the electromagnet by grounding it.

Terminal 30 provides the power to the heavy duty switch in the relay which is normally open.

Terminal 87 is receives the power from the heavy duty switch in the relay when the magnetic coil is energized and the heavy duty switch is closed.

The heavy duty switch can handle a 40 amp load.
and provides that power to the horn or headlight or whatever you want to power.

Put another way, 85 and 86 turn the switch on and off.
30 and 87 handle the large current load to whatever your wanting to power.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:26 am
I don't see a problem.

The power going to terminal 86 provides power to the magnetic coil.  Terminal 85 also is connected to the magnetic coil and serves to complete the circuit and actuate the electromagnet by grounding it.

Terminal 30 provides the power to the heavy duty switch in the relay which is normally open.

Terminal 87 is receives the power from the heavy duty switch in the relay when the magnetic coil is energized and the heavy duty switch is closed.

The heavy duty switch can handle a 40 amp load.
and provides that power to the horn or headlight or whatever you want to power.

Put another way, 85 and 86 turn the switch on and off.
30 and 87 handle the large current load to whatever your wanting to power.

OK, I believe you. Godknows I'm no expert (I treat electricity like water in pipes), but then tell me which schematic is correct. Or are they both correct & if so was electricity invented to scramble my brain?   :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:51 am
They are achieving the same results.  The top schematic shows the switch interrupting the ground via #85; the bottom shows the switch interrupting the +12V to the coil in the relay via #86.  They are different in terms of where the switch is actually located in the relay's coil circuit  (so, your NOT crazy 2CV.... well, maybe a little). :P

Anyway, either setup will work; i prefer the bottom one... nicer colors to follow the coil side and contact side of the relay, and it does make more sense...
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 03:25:38 am
They are achieving the same results.  The top schematic shows the switch interrupting the ground via #85; the bottom shows the switch interrupting the +12V to the coil in the relay via #86.  They are different in terms of where the switch is actually located in the relay's coil circuit  (so, your NOT crazy 2CV.... well, maybe a little). :P

Anyway, either setup will work; i prefer the bottom one... nicer colors to follow the coil side and contact side of the relay, and it does make more sense...

I prefer the bottom one, too. It makes better sense to me (I don't get the jumper from #30 to #86) plus wiring is spelled wiring not waring as in the top one. One way or another I'll make them blow.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:40:50 pm
     This is a time check posting to see if the time is still appearing incorrectly. I just went in & checked & my time is set correctly yet the time that shows on the posting is never right.

Just sayin'  :)  I'm posting this at 7:40AM.

OK. Now this one has the correct time. I don't get it  ;) but there's a lot I don't get so I guess that's OK  :)

I wrinkle-blacked the horns last night. Picture later.

Raining.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:05:23 pm
     This is a time check posting to see if the time is still appearing incorrectly. I just went in & checked & my time is set correctly yet the time that shows on the posting is never right.

I wrinkle-blacked the horns last night. Picture later.

I see the time on the message list page is still coming up wrong. Oh, well.

Here's a picture. Another successful campaign in the war on chrome  :)  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 03:42:02 pm
That wrinkle coat came out nice!  I wish I had room to mount an Oooga horn on my bike, I think that would be awesome.  Too bad the things are so damn bulky.  Ah hell, I don't need too spend money on horns, I have a whole lot of 5 generations of Subarus at work with horns in them.  I actually just modded the Horn in my Legacy, I added another complete set of horns from a 2008 Outback behind my grill.  It's louder than my buddies Hellas now!   ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:27:11 pm
2CV
Some forum sites show the time posts were made at the forum location.
If the site is not located in your time zone, the time shown will not be the same as your local time.

As for the "jumper" wire that's providing power, all the diagram is trying to say is that both the power to the actuation coil (which is coming from your horn button) and the power that's going to provide the horn blowing power, both need to have a fuse somewhere between the battery and the relay.

The horn button already has a fuse in the circuit because it is getting its power from the ignition switch which rely's on the main power fuse.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:29:50 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:03:34 am
Hey there 2CV, it was me, I'm the guy that installed those horns.

When I un-wound my harness and dug out the horn wires, they were long enough to reach my left side tool box where i mounted the relay.  I ran the negative from the stock horn switch to the 85, ran the positive from the stock switch to the 86.  Then a inline fused line from the battery to the 30, then a new hot wire on the 87 going to the horns.

So

Terminal                     Lead
   85                            Horn Switch Neg
   86                            Horn Switch Pos
   87                            New Wire to Horns
   30                            Inline Fused Wire to Bat Tree

Hope that helps, have you wired them direct to hear what they sound like yet?  They're LOUD huh?
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:30 pm
Hey there 2CV, it was me, I'm the guy that installed those horns.

Hope that helps, have you wired them direct to hear what they sound like yet?  They're LOUD huh?

I didn't read this 'til last night. I never intended to wire them up or even test them 'til now although I did mount them. I don't want to drain & pull the tank now just to sit & run wires - Winter's comin'   ;)

So this morning I went down & jumpered them up & called the better half down.

I don't know what to say except she jumped like a pellet-gunned squirrel.

I guess the only other thing I can say is Holy Shit !! I swear the bike backed up 3 inches.

Intellectually I knew what 110dB was gonna be, but Holy Shit!

I can't wait for the next idiot who jumps a stop sign on me next Spring.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:16:59 am by tooseevee »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:08 pm
     I didn't read this 'til last night. I never intended to wire them up or even test them 'til now although I did mount them. I don't want to drain & pull the tank now just to sit & run wires - Winter's comin'   ;)

So this morning I went down & jumpered them up & called the better half down.

I don't know what to say except she jumped like pellet-gunned squirrel.

I guess the only other thing I can say is Holy Shit !! I swear the bike backed up 3 inches.

Intellectually I knew what 110dB was gonna be, but Holy Shit!

I can't wait for the next idiot who jumps a stop sign on me next Spring.   

That's exactly what I was sayin' LOL!  IF you watch that video in the other thread, you'll see that I'm holding the camera when my sun hits the horn that first time, and I jumped KNOWING it was coming...

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av