Author Topic: More growth for Royal Enfield, units up, margins up  (Read 4934 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:45 pm
Royal Enfield continues to grow in terms of both units shipped and margin.
Their new factory has improved quantity and from what it looks like quality as well.

Here is an article about their 3Q numbers.
http://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-continental-gt-cafe-racer-2-1295186.html

Siddhartha Lal, Managing Director & CEO, Eicher Motors Limited said, “Royal Enfield has maintained its phenomenal growth trajectory even in Q3 2013 registering the best ever quarter results. We have registered year-on-year unit sales growth of 60.6% with record sales of 48,242 units as compared to 30,046 units in Q3 2012. We continue to extract operating leverage from the business, thus improving the EBIT margin to 17.5% in Q3 2013 as compared to 13.4% in Q3 2012.”

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:15 pm
Glad to see how well they've done in the last couple of years. They are definitely outpacing many other manufacturers now, like Triumph and Ducati, in the world market, even if their world is India. They still have a way to go in the US, but they are making headway!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:20:20 pm
Well their presence at the Progressive International Motorcycle Shows in Dallas was quite good. It was a simple booth but the motorcycles were getting attention. Royal Enfield of Fort Worth manned the booth with folks from Royal Enfield USA. They had a beautiful C5 in cream with matched sidecar, a military green c5, a c5 in black, a G5 Deluxe in black/chrome and two of the Continental GTs on display.

The continental GTs got the most attention. However the military G5 had lots of people get on it.

I think Royal Enfields exhibit space looked good. It was simple and people seem to really like the motorcycles. I have a friend from Hawaii who was in town. He really fell for the c5 military. He does custom paint and pinstriping. So I could tell he loved the idea of having a c5 desert storm and riding around Hawaii on it.

I took him as a passenger on my G5 Standard in British Racing green. He loved it. He commented on how much torque the bike had. I have to admit I was nervous, first time I had a pillion rider. It went great. He was thrilled to see Royal Enfield had a dealer in Hawaii, so he will be going shopping there. I told him to test ride one. Since there aren't huge freeways where people are going 80+mph I think it will be a perfect bike for the island. Also, it will get noticed since Harleys are what most folks ride there.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:01 pm
I bought my 2014 in August. Admittedly, it had some factory defects. Parts were very slow in coming and no one on this side of the pond seemed to disturbed by it other than myself. So, I was forced to contact the folks in India. There reply to my letter was almost instantaneous and they were all over my warranty claim. The parts quickly arrived and my dealer was spot on in getting them onto the bike and the bike back to me.
My bike is as one would expect now, everything works and all parts are in alignment to where they should be.
She's a beauty.
I am proud to drive it down the road and everywhere I go people ask about it. I am happy to tell them about Royal Enfield and the great job that the folks in India are doing.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:32:29 pm
I remember seeing the REs at a moto show a few years back.  They haven't made it out the Seattle show in a few years.  It's the same for many small volume bikes.  With the market down they either only make the big shows or don't make any at all.

They always draw a big crowd but few people want to buy them.  "Too small" is the opinion I hear most often.  Unfortunately, people think that unless a bike can do the ton it's not suitable for American roads.  I think these are the same people who sell bikes 5 years after they buy them with cracked tires and less than 1,000 miles on the clock.

I'm really hoping the Continental will boost sales in the US.  Anyone know how many will be imported into the US the first year?

Scott

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:46:07 am
Well,I am frustrated by the lack of a more competent offering.
It is not really fun to have the slowest bike in the group.
Of course,my bike is an iron barrel with only modest mods.I believe it will do close to 90mph,according to my friends' Harley.But I cannot hold it there.
The UCE bikes are altogether better,obviously,But a larger and more powerful bike would do well here,probly.
It is typical for Americans to want a bigger bike than the current REs.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:28:47 am
I guess it's really anyone's choice as to what they want for a bike. I have had mid size cruisers in the past and they came and went. I always liked the look of the REs, or anything retro for that matter. Been tempted for a while to buy a RE and broke down and did it. I don't ever ride in packs. My use is for the commute to work and about town. For me, its a great fit for what I needed and wanted.
I used to commute 135 miles daily round trip. It was a lot of highway miles. Now I hate riding on the highway. I prefer the country roads now.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:06:20 am
I've never understood the mindset of people thinking they "need" a huge bike. If its gonna be used for freeway touring, I can see that...but for an all around bike?  I think its the same mindset that buys a huge 4x4 truck and never takes it off the pavement. I used to work with a guy who was, well, for lack of a better word, an idiot. He wanted a Harley (as a bar-hopper/weekend toy) but felt the sportster was 'too small' for him. He said he needed the power of the larger models..."for the freeways"
Heck, back in the 60's, a 650 or 750 was a BIG bike. They had enough power to take a grown man down the highway at speeds above the posted limit. My W650 still does....But then again, back then, men were men and didn't wear skinny jeans or frost their hair....
...sorry, I went off on a tangent.

I saw the Conti GT's at Royal Enfield of Ft Worth before they went to the Dallas show. From my initial impressions it looked like the quality of the parts, paint and chrome looked improved over my '12 C5 military. Can't wait to get mine!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:19:41 am
then again, back then, men were men and didn't wear skinny jeans or frost their hair....

;D ;D ;D
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:41:41 am

I used to work with a guy who was, well, for lack of a better word, an idiot. He wanted a Harley .......

D'oh !!   :o ;D ;D ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:10:58 am
Sorry if there was any confusion or offense taken....
He was an idiot AND he wanted a Harley. He wasn't an idiot BECAUSE he wanted one....
my apologies to anyone offended.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:41:22 pm
I always had a yen for a Phelan & Moore PANTHER 650cc Single. They were a fairly well engineered very long stroke bike. They excelled as a Sidecar Tug. I think a modern version could be made to handle well & move very well indeed. Wonder if it could be the missing link to performance single cylinder market success. "Never underestimate old technologies"
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:33:16 pm
All good points and opinions.  I'd welcome an new AJS, Matchless, etc.  And a clone of any of the smaller, lighter Brit twins of the '50s or '60's would excite me.  I love the look and enjoy riding them.  New Triumphs disappointed me.  That's probably why I'm hoping for a new production Royal Enfield twin.  The Iron Barrel Bullet was fun, but not really practical for a daily bike where I live.  I had to plan everything around staying off highways during the day to avoid getting run down.  Honestly, 45 to 50 was it's comfortable speed whereas the Yamaha 950 is comfortable at 65+ with traffic here.
So a traditional Brit twin in the 750 range seems the best of both worlds.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:29 pm
My W650 still does....But then again, back then, men were men and didn't wear skinny jeans or frost their hair....
...sorry, I went off on a tangent.

Oh, no. Where did I go wrong?  Was my whole youth growing up in Wyoming in the '40s & '50s misspent wearing "skinny jeans"?  ;) (Levis. Nothing but Levis. And we didn't call them jeans then). Where did I go wrong?  ???

I still wear them (Levis, 30 inch waist), but I HAVE stopped frosting my hair. My tattoo guy had to let his beautician go. He couldn't afford her health care insurance & the shop was getting overrun with guys wanting their butts & chests waxed, but no tattoos   :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:04:56 pm
  When did Dungarees  become Jeans......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.