Author Topic: Strange rattle on de-acceleration  (Read 5571 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:33 pm
I guess that would explain why Dan Kearney's '12 Military runs soooo much quieter than mine.  :D 

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 07:12:22 am
If there is play in cam spindle then it does makes a muted rattle. Get them checked along with the rockers bearings.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 07:26:51 am
Aussie Dave,  you mention you have  a hitchcocks pipe and shield, are you also running the Hitchcock's EFI bottle silencer? I run one of these, with a fishtail stuck on the end. The bolt-in baffle has a habit of working loose, and when it does it gives off a fiendish rattle on the over-run. Perhaps you could revert to the original exhaust system, which would rule out (or rule in) the silencer and baffle as a source of your noise?

Cheers,

Blairio

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 04:29:50 pm
Hey Blairo- my rattle turned out to be the chain- after I conviced myself several times that it wasn't ! What an idiot. It was rattling on de- celeration flicking the top of the case at it went in .i was lookin at the bottom section. It had stretched unevenly, so I've replaced it. Haven't been posting much coz I meet a girl- went to visit today in the country -cruised home on about125 k coz no- one was about -and lost my baffle .danm thing fell out . And I thought locktite was my friend! Yeah, mines a (loud) bottle.
 How does the fish- tail sound?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:12:22 pm
AussiDave, the fishtail sounds great.  It takes the sharp edge off the exhaust note, which is useful for when I'm pulling away from my house early in the morning. Other than that it doesn't affect the way the engine runs, and certainly doesn't smother it.

The baffle on my EFI bottle silencer has come loose 3 times. Each time, the only thing that stopped it shooting clean out of the silencer was .. the fishtail. I finally got the baffle to stay put by using a longish bolt with two nuts tightened hard against each other (and loc-tite).  that seems to have done the trick!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:16 am
IMO, loc-tite and almost every epoxy or superglue I can think of all go away when the temperature goes above 400*F.
A silencer gets well over that temperature on a long run so using one of the thread locking compounds is pretty much useless.

Mechanical methods of locking threads is about the only thing that will work in an exhaust system.  These include the jam nut method and there are special interference nuts used in the aircraft industry that will work if you can find them.  MS21043 is an example.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 12:07:07 am
They do make the self-locking nuts with metal instead of nylon locking.  A bit harder to find these days but they are out there.

Scott

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 02:47:54 am
Thanks for being such good blokes and offering your excellent suggestions:) I gotta say -my bike is much livelier without that plug in the pipe! I guess I am a motorcycle hoon at heart coz I love it! Damn it's loud though. I'm gonna see if I can get get a replacement from hitchcocks. In the meantime I will exercise discretion around those funny lookin cars with the blue lights . I think I'll get a fish tail while I'm at it -they do look cool!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:37:36 am
AussieDave, here's my bike, with the EFI bottle silencer and Fishtail:

I have used the longer of the two Hitchcock heat shields to cover the join between header pipe and silencer, secured with a couple of stainless steel jubilee clips.

When I first unpacked the EFI bottle silencer I was surprised to see that there was only one mounting point for a bracket to fix the silencer to the frame, compared the original silencer's two mounting points. The mounting point on the frame just beside where the brake rod meets the rear brake foot pedal is unused. I queried Hitchcocks on this point, and they said that the bottle silencer was far lighter than the original, and a second mounting was not considered necessary. They offered to send me second bracket to double up on the first one, but so far I haven't felt the need for it.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 12:10:41 am
Thanks Blario. ! Nice bike ...the fish looks wicked I reckon.what holds it on? The same bolt that retains the baffle?

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:23 am
Thanks, AussieDave.  I think Riviera Red looks great in the sunlight, although there's not much of that available in Scotland in Winter!

The fishtail is held on by a nut & bolt assembly which clamps the fishtail onto the exhaust pipe. It is facing the wheel, so you can't see it in the picture. The baffle bolt doesn't keep the fishtail on, but it does limit how far up the tailpipe you can slide the fishtail - if you see what I mean. In practice this isn't a problem. The fishtail has never worked loose, unlike the baffle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:45:56 am by Blairio »

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 03:35:59 pm
It does look good in the sunshine! Must be the low angle . You guys keep your sun n stars in the weirdest places. I love Scotland . Played a gig once in Ullapool lookin out at a loch like that . Felt just like playing in our local -Great people!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:27 pm
I've played a gig in Ullapool, too!  Must be getting mighty dark right about this time of year...

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 12:06:12 am
I  am willing to bet the good people of Ullapool loved that there hurdy-gurdy Mattz!
 Maybe it's time ye played a visit down here!
  My (ahm) young lady friend was waxing lyrical ' bout a gurdy -ist playing in ballarat of all places , last week,apparently on a teaching grant for three years.
May have to investigate further.