Author Topic: Help with a wet sumping problem  (Read 6635 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 05:03:43 pm
Whether or this will apply to iron barrels, I don't know.
On my AVL in the mornings checking the oil - there is none on the dip stick. I tried via the compression release kicking the bike through about 15-20 times, then checking the oil. Welp there is was full. Possibly, for those experiencing the wet sumping problem, this may work.
I'm sure no expert on that, but if it works, great!

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:29 pm
so i have been away on vacation & had a job change so the bike problems have taken the backseat. I did get a chance to replace the timing side crank shaft seal as well as the neoprene/rubber worm nut. To my frustration i am still getting massive amounts of oil in the sump.

i thought of this last night. Is it possible that is the gasket is worn or broken between and around the area where the oil flows from the crankcase to the timing case (the small maybe 2 MM sized holes along the gasket area) would oil flow from the timing case into the sump? I am at my wits end and do not have anyone even remotely close to take the bike to to trouble shoot this. I have reused the gasket maybe 3-4 times. I think i am going to replace it this week to see what happens, i just wanted to get some opinions first.

To recap my problem so you don't have to read through the whole thread. I am getting anywhere from 250-400 ML of oil in my sump area. After a decent length ride i can pull the plug and maybe 100 ML will drain out fast then the rest will drip out. I have let the bike sit over night and let all the oil in the sump drain out (always around 400ML). I have sat and watched it after this to make sure no more is dripping out. I then opened up the tappet cover and poured the oil back down through so it would go directly to the timing case and almost instantly a slow drip would start which would equal about 400 ML by the next day. As i said i replaced the shaft oil seal (correctly installed with the spring facing out), there was no wear or scratches in the shaft. I also replaced the worm nut and the bolt with the shaft that screws into it.

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 02:13:38 am
so i had some time tonight to have another go at my wet sumping problem, i had thought of this posibility of oil leaking into the sump flow hole on the crankcase gasket suraface and a member of the Yahoo RE group ACE Cafe said that this was possible... it turned out to be true.

the gasket was broken at both oil flow holes allowing oil to flow into
the sump. I don't know how i didn't catch this the few times i had the
timing cover off to trouble shoot my problem. I put a new gasket on,
went for a 20 mile ride, came back and pulled the plug... only about
10-15ML of oil and no drip after that.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:38 am
One of the reasons I never reuse a gasket.
Glad you got it sorted out.
Now go ride it, you got enough fixing done to it for this year.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"