Author Topic: Yamaha Bolt Cafe  (Read 3857 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 03:35:18 pm
Was that pebble to close to a vital organ to remove? Bike evolution being the way it is, dictates that if the belt was truly better all bikes would have it. How many are sporting the belt? Mostly cruisers? If you are the type of rider that may dissolve in oil it's a must have. ;D
The pebble was bulging out but not hitting anything.  Since it was in the middle of the wide belt, it was not a structural issue.  If it were near to the edge the belt likely would likely to have needing replacing.

Why don't all motorcycles have belts?  For sportbikes, maybe their power output causes undue strain on belts.  I would think the Enfields would be prime candidates for belts, except that they wouldn't fit the tradition, and would look out of place.  Witness the Buell Blast belt and rear "sprocket". 

But didn't the first motorcycles have leather belts?  That's a tradition I wouldn't want to explore!   ;)
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 04:06:34 pm
Sure I lose a little HP at the rear but so digging my shaft drive 1100 (Unless it breaks) ... :P
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 06:37:33 pm
Sure I lose a little HP at the rear but so digging my shaft drive 1100 (Unless it breaks) ... :P

The shaft drive, at least, looks good!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 02:42:13 pm
But didn't the first motorcycles have leather belts?  That's a tradition I wouldn't want to explore!   ;)

Early motorbikes did have leather belts.  But as torque increased, they were too stretchy and week.  Look at how large the leather belts on steam engines were!  The modern Kevlar reinforced belts with cog teeth don't have this problem.  They are strong enough to last as long or longer than steel chains.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 05:28:04 pm
My belt barely hold my pants..Maybe I should try a chain and see how that works out.. ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:11 pm
My belt barely hold my pants..Maybe I should try a chain and see how that works out.. ;D

My older brother has a Triumph primary chain belt he wore in the '60s.  It won't go around him now.  ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH