Author Topic: Yamaha Bolt Cafe  (Read 3854 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:46 pm
This one is for you D the D, although I think I just read you aren't into Cafe's.  Yamaha is a few years late to the party, but I feel like they've been really trying lately with lots of new models.  Before I link, I'll say I sat on a Bolt this weekend and in person they look impressive.  I'd definitely take one over a Sportster, if I were to go that route.  Cool bike.

Bolt Cafe "Concept."
http://www.visordown.com/image.aspx?url=/uploads/images/Huge/63169.jpg&area=ARTICLES&category=Motorcycle+news%3a+New+bikes&title=&SiteChannelId=2

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:52:06 am
Thanks for the pic.  8)  That's not bad looking for a V-twin cafĂ©-ish bike. 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:40:49 pm
That's a good lookin' bike.

Cheers,

Dan K.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:52:22 pm
I can't get past the belt drive. It's so prominent, and for what?. Call me an old fart but, belt drives are the answer to the question no one asked.  This too, hopefully will pass, like the rubber cam belt.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:06:00 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:07:29 am
I can't get past the belt drive. It's so prominent, and for what?. Call me an old fart but, belt drives are the answer to the question no one asked.  This too, hopefully will pass, like the rubber cam belt.

It's just another way of doing it.  I'm sure someone around 1890 asked "Why a chain?  Darn newfangled gadgets.  The leather belt is perfectly good!"
1975 XLCH

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:17:31 pm
As far as belt drives go i had one on my 440 Kaw, quiet, reliable, and maintenance free. Downsides? I dunno.
Robert.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:59:49 pm
As far as belt drives go i had one on my 440 Kaw, quiet, reliable, and maintenance free. Downsides? I dunno.
Robert.
It's inherently huge, because of the bend radius problem. Very limited in ratio changes. On a 440 kaw that probably wasn't an issue. But hey to each his own, I wear a belt. 
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:34:59 pm
The downside is that they are ugly and stick out too far. the Buell Blast was the ultimate in ugly. On a big Hog they aren't too noticeable, but smaller bikes aren't done any justice by them. They also got to eat a lot more power than a good chain. And you have to disassemble the rear end of the bike to change them!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:38 pm
Good point Bare, the Blast was ugly. On my Kaw it looked just right, it's just a pity the rest of the bike was crap!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 04:12:03 pm
I kind of like the look on some bikes, it's not too prominent on the Bolt for my tastes.  Actually I like the look of the belt better than a chain on this one.  Really, how often are we changing sprockets and ratios on the street bike unless someone is a fiddly diddler who's never happy with what he's got?  I don't like blonds, but I won't call your wife ugly.  She's just not my cup of tea.
1975 XLCH

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:56 pm
One of my best friends told me that my wife is not ugly.So,now there's two of us who feel that way.
I like the Bolt and the Sporty.I like the Thruxton better than either and it will not be bought either.Dammit.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:07:42 am
Robert.

They're long lasting, don't stretch as much as a chain, quiet, and don't spew oil all over the place.  Pretty good trade-offs for the one weakness that I know of:  You can't use them for off road riding.  Get a piece of gravel between the toothed pulley and the belt and it'll snap the belt.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 03:34:18 am

They're long lasting, don't stretch as much as a chain, quiet, and don't spew oil all over the place.  Pretty good trade-offs for the one weakness that I know of:  You can't use them for off road riding.  Get a piece of gravel between the toothed pulley and the belt and it'll snap the belt.  Cheers,
Dan K.
I had a pebble embedded in the middle of the drive belt of my Harley for the longest time.  The mechanics said to leave it as it didn't affect the belt's durability.  They were right.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 01:37:39 pm
Was that pebble to close to a vital organ to remove? Bike evolution being the way it is, dictates that if the belt was truly better all bikes would have it. How many are sporting the belt? Mostly cruisers? If you are the type of rider that may dissolve in oil it's a must have. ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:41:15 pm by cyrusb »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:28:09 pm
Was that pebble to close to a vital organ to remove? Bike evolution being the way it is, dictates that if the belt was truly better all bikes would have it. How many are sporting the belt? Mostly cruisers? If you are the type of rider that may dissolve in oil it's a must have. ;D

If belt drives WEREN'T as good as everyone says they are, then why are belt drives popping up on all the latest bicycles?   ???  There are hundreds of them out there!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King