Author Topic: spark plus seem to have changed?  (Read 5576 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 10, 2013, 12:26:55 pm
Ive been using the plugs most of us are using. the BPR6ES.
I bought 2 the other day after some erratic iddling , cut outs etc. Usually i jut screw the cap off these plugs to make em fit the plug lead, but these ones didnt have the screw off section. instead the whole stem came out of the spark plug.
anyone know anything about this?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 03:50:18 pm
Nope, sounds like a defect..Take it back and get another one and inspect it while u r there...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:00:50 pm
Sounds familiar. The first one I bought on line, did not have a removable top spindle shaped nut. After learning that there are 2 types, I carefully ground down the spindle section small enough to get my plug wire on it & used it until I found the correct one. Now its a spare.
  I imagine if someone thought the top was supposed to come off,  & twisted hard enough with a pliers, it could come apart.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:35:11 pm
Sounds like the threaded spindle sheared from over-tightening at the plant, and QA missed it.
Yeah, get a new one.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:23:36 pm
The plug may have been returned to the store unopened after a customer determined the screw top did not come off?  Take it back and inform them of the issue. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:34:12 pm
They make both types of plugs. I had some of the fixed tip ones here, but I must've used them. My GB500 would take the others. There is a stock number on the boxes, 7131, that the the removable tips on them. I'm not sure what the fixed tips have. I didn't notice any number on the plugs that could differentiate them.  Just check them before you buy them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:42 am
Like Craig and Bare both said:  NGK and other brands make both types and you have to check which you're getting.  I've found both and had to return mail order ones that were solid.
Key to look at?  Is the end of the threaded rod viewable from the top or the cap?  If not, it's solid - the screw on caps are hollow tubes with threads, not a closed over cap.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:22 am
thanks guys. ive put the bosch twin electrode back in. the bikes running better than it has for months with this one back in for now. its still pretty new.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:55:09 pm
Hey Steve, Call around your local auto parts stores. That NGK plug is very common. I ordered my first (wrong Type) on line - turns out my local auto parts store had the correct ones even cheaper, so I bought a few. Original twin electrode plugs aren't as good - trust me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
You don't realize how many  problems you actually have with the Bosch, until you put the NGK in!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:20 pm
  Or.... one could just change their spark plug boot to the larger top terminal type, and never have to worry about it again. So what ever comes in the box... either a fixed terminal or thread terminal adapter would work fine.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:26:50 pm
I know everyone is adamant about it.
Just for the record, I stick with the OEM plug.  :-[

My engine runs smoothly, no hickups. It starts under every condition alla prima. First plug served 23000kms before showing signs of age, and is duly replaced with a younger brother. It too performs flawlessly. :)

I mentioned I ran a test for 1000kms with the BRP6ES plug. I was apalled by its condition. It came out overly dirty.  :o
It was a relief having faithful back in.
My small poll came to this preliminary conclusion: unless you are subject to fuel contaminated with ethanol and having poor results from the plug a NGK one can bring relief to the problem.
Sjeesh. There was a time when one had to move to a third world country to have questionable fuel.  ::)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 09:36:32 pm
I'd say that if you're not having problems with a wandering idle speed or rough running and stalling, especially during  warmup, you don't need an NGK plug.  If you are having trouble getting your engine to run smoothly it's one of the first things to try.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:58 pm
+1
Yep, I totally agree to that.
There will be plenty of other issues to entertain us.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:37 pm
    I agree. I'm not one for the mass NGK plug craze. They are a good plug though. And I use them.... because they are locally available.  But  I've used autolite and champion as well for my needs, and they are fine.  I never had a problem with the stock Bosch plug either. 

My guess is.... even though the NGK and Bosch plug heat ranges work out in the cross reference charts, the Bosch plug is actually a little colder. Because when people have these symptoms, they seem to be issues you would have with using a plug that is too cold for the way their bike is set up and tuned.  It could also be , that the people who are having issues with the stock plug, have a slightly higher base TPS setting .....

I'm thinking the proper heat range for your particular bike is more at play here , could be a NGK with a heat range of 6 or 7 for example ? But more so then the brand of plug you use......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.