Author Topic: Bike left me stranded again  (Read 5064 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:45:15 pm

So repeated attempts at starting may not only be fouling the 'new' spark plugs, but also the sensor? Instead of 90 seconds, the sensor might be taking more time, as it is 'temperature sensitive' and might not be able to detect oxygen optimally...because of blockage etc, we don't know yet.

I think the dealer should loosen the sensor and check for the health of the internal side of it...soot/damage/blockage etc. And then tighten it to the torque spec provided in the service manual.

+ 1 !....  Particularly if you are NOT getting a 02 sensor code.

Also something very simple to overlook and not think of when troubleshooting a sensor or a suspected sensor is.... Is your MIL light bulb good? Cause they will burn out like any other bulb... Does it come on at startup ? Does it go off and then come back on after start up ?

Cold starts in this weather....i.e. Northeast, where it's in the 30's F in the mornings. You should have to use the bi-starter to keep the bike running after it starts. You could also use a hotter plug to help with cold starts this time of year. And as previously stated, I don't care what type of battery you have.... Use a battery tender.

But it DOES sound like your bike IS defaulting to a safe rich mode... That is if all other normal cold starting procedures are followed.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 05:10:53 pm
That was exactly what was happening on my C5 before I sold it, and it was the plug that was fouled.  Warmups had to be short so it wouldn't occur.  I hope the O2 sensor is the culprit.

Too weird, I can't explain that one except I would think it like forgetting to pull up the enricher on my carb and running it for awhile...It will eventually start to bog down and sound bad..
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:00 pm

@ kammersangerin

Also, while it's on my mind, and you keep fouling plugs.... It wouldn't hurt to check the connections on your spark plug wire ( high tension lead), both at your coil and at the spark plug boot.  A bad connection could foul a plug... as the plug fouls,  Likely would the 02 sensor. So both should be cleaned.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:24:27 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:51 pm
I know of one Classic with a faulty ECU that had to be replaced. Apparently it happens occasionally, which is no consolation if you're the unlucky one, at least you're blessed if still under warranty.

SingG5's video is gold. Great to know the parameters to test condition of this sensor. It also makes overly clear why it is important not to give throttle at start up, only use the bi-starter when required.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt