Author Topic: longer rear shocks  (Read 1298 times)

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
on: November 11, 2013, 04:17:04 pm
My rear shocks tend to bottom out against the rear fender. That is - fully loaded and with a pillion and slightly higher profile semi off road tyres. Did anybody have similar problems or experiment with higher than standard rear shocks on the C5? I'm not sure how this will affect the handling?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:28:35 pm
     It is a close fit under the fender. Also make sure your tires are not rubbing the swing arm or chain guard.
     If you need longer rear shocks, Hagon can make up one to your specifications. A longer shock will tend to tuck in the front end. This makes for lighter and quicker steering at the expense of high speed stability. The slightly higher center of gravity will require some adjustment to compensate for.
     In actual practice most people never notice any difference.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:34:52 pm
Just checking, you do know you can increase the preload on the rear shocks, right? Also, I don't know that you need longer shock so much as you need stiffer shocks.  Hagon can help you either way.  In the US you can Call Dave Quinn Motorcycles for Hagons and another place on the west coast.

Scott

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:14 pm
I have slightly longer rear shocks on my sixty-5 apart from having to lift my leg a little higher when getting on, the handling is great and very reactive on bends and roundabouts
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:28:01 pm
A slightly longer shock won't hurt most of the bikes, but I'd be reluctant to put one on a C5 with the leading axle!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com