Author Topic: 500 cc Harley  (Read 31489 times)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:09 pm
Sorry DC, i'm too dumb to convert to #. ;D ;D ;D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: November 18, 2013, 03:52:31 pm
It's Monday..Gotta start the week off proper..
Oh Magoo you done it again

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: November 18, 2013, 03:55:18 pm
A lot of HD hate going on despite denials of it.  Well, considering no one here has ridden one yet any opinions are just so much speculation.  Don't like and it ain't your thing, fine, but don't knock it just because it isn't what you happen to like riding today.  HD is going to make money and stay in business whether any of us care or not.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: November 18, 2013, 04:39:31 pm
+ 1  .Gonna read some of the Harley Blogs tonight and see what the general consensus is on it..

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: November 18, 2013, 05:45:36 pm
Here's a interview/article with New Delhi Harley Davidson's managing director Anoop Prakash.
Looks like the 500 isnt going to be released in India until they test the waters with the 750.

"Street 750 will be coming to India first and not the Street 500. We have got a lot of feedback and Street 750 is what a lot of people want and they are looking forward to it. They wanted to have the same power but also the manoeuvrability that comes with the Street platform. "
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #140 on: November 19, 2013, 02:04:13 pm
This is a good move and I might be buying a 750 if priced right. It has lot of goodies over typical Harley - Higher GC, longer suspension travel, water cooled, 4 valves per head,SOHC, lighter, narrow.
I remember reading somewhere that 500 is69mmX66mm and 750 is 85mmX66mm and redline is around 8000 rpm. If this is true, even the power output is quite high for a Harley.  :)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #141 on: November 19, 2013, 04:05:56 pm
We do not weigh Harley's in kilograms!!!

Neither do we put an apostrophe in it   :)   ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #142 on: November 19, 2013, 04:19:51 pm
Trust me- Still ain't easy to start. Don't put on your jacket till you get it runnin.

How do you know? Do you have one? Do you kickstart it?

I'm 75 & I ride a kick only shovelhead & I start it just fine any time I feel like it & have had nothing but kick onlys since '83 & before THAT I had a kick with a Jap starter that I never used. I kicked it.

Anybody who knows what they're talking about can set up a harley engine to kickstart. If they don't kick start it's usually in the tuning & that's true with ANY bike. If the engine is a basic piece of shit from the start, of course it won't kickstart, but otherwise it's something in the tuning. Neglect ANYthing & it won't run right.

I'm just tired of groundless harley criticism I don't care how many you've "owned before".
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:45 pm
If they don't kick start it's usually in the tuning & that's true with ANY bike. If the engine is a basic piece of shit from the start, of course it won't kickstart, but otherwise it's something in the tuning. Neglect ANYthing & it won't run right.

Gotta say, that's a accurate statement...Don't forget operator error too, That seems to catch people and makes kickstarting a bit of a chore..

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: November 19, 2013, 04:40:50 pm
Most people just hop on and do the Redneck kick.  Every type of engine has it's own procedure - look at the RE.  If you don't know the procedure she is either not going to start or going to hurt you.  99% of the time it's not the bike, it's lack of knowledge.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #145 on: November 19, 2013, 05:57:47 pm
           Neither do we put an apostrophe in it   :)   ;)

Busted!  Damn you auto-correct!

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #146 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:50 pm
            How do you know? Do you have one? Do you kickstart it?

I'm 75 & I ride a kick only shovelhead & I start it just fine any time I feel like it & have had nothing but kick onlys since '83 & before THAT I had a kick with a Jap starter that I never used. I kicked it.

Anybody who knows what they're talking about can set up a harley engine to kickstart. If they don't kick start it's usually in the tuning & that's true with ANY bike. If the engine is a basic piece of shit from the start, of course it won't kickstart, but otherwise it's something in the tuning. Neglect ANYthing & it won't run right.

I'm just tired of groundless harley criticism I don't care how many you've "owned before".

TOOSEEVEE, You got me all wrong, I was talking about My Yamaha SR500 being hard to hard **FOR ME** to kick start (I'M 67 + prosthetic left hip, screws in right foot & ankle, toasted knees) For that matter EVERYTHING is now to hard for ME to kick anymore.  Although I have fond memories of hours of enjoyment kick starting my 2 PANHEADS, BSA's, Triumphs, Norton, Matchless, Ducati's. As Nothing was Electric start but wimpy jap bikes back then. Sooner or later we all get to frail to do lots of things we liked. I couldn't ride anymore without a self starter.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #147 on: November 19, 2013, 09:27:59 pm
Interesting review below.  From a MSF trainer. 

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harley-davidson-street-500-review/
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:25 pm
Not a overall positive write-up was it..Comments were interesting...Looks like the 500cc is a Harley out the door for just under 8k , tags. tax..etc....

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: November 19, 2013, 10:06:00 pm
My SR500s were always pretty easy to start. I used them for commuting and never had any problems with them at all. My TT500 on the other hand could be a real PITA to start sometimes, usually in the most inopportune spots. I remember the beast stopping down at the bottom of a crater like hole that walking out of was going to be a pain even without thinking about pushing the bike! In fact, that was one of my last dirt riding experiences. I had quit racing and was getting tired of driving 150 miles to go dirt riding. I sold my last two dirt bikes and said goodby to the sport. Then I got serious about playing on the mountain roads and road racing circuits.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com