Author Topic: 500 cc Harley  (Read 30846 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:46 pm
I dunno, interesting to discuss it here.  And like I said before, first fresh idea they've had in quite some time.  We won't tell the kids at work if you talk to us about it ;)

Scott

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:25 pm
  What do they say about the News or the Press ?

7 pages about a new Harley ON a Royal Enfield forum and more in multiple sections...... Geeez, we need to stop !  ::)   

I even have young kids at work coming up to me and asking me what I think about them ! ....... Gawd ! :-X

I agree. We've spent way too much time on harleys & it all just gets too complicated. It's like if we were to start on all the cars some of us have had (& why). "Oh, I hate those" "Why do you like THAT car?" "I like THIS car" "Your car sucks".

It all just gets too compullcated (& harley already gets ENUFF free advertising from those Chinese T-shirts)   :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 08:17:14 pm
I dunno, interesting to discuss it here.  And like I said before, first fresh idea they've had in quite some time.  We won't tell the kids at work if you talk to us about it ;)

Scott

D'oh !!!..... That just made it 8 pages !  LOL !

Too late, they are probably already reading this !  and I've been workin' the whole...you know.... Be different, get an Enfield ... a GT even... or anything but a Harley type thing !   Trying to get 'em when they are young and all... you know.  he..he..he

Do'h !!.... there I go adding to this ! ::) :-X
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #108 on: November 15, 2013, 08:38:06 pm
GHG - don't worry, it's not as bad as you think:  I've changed my forum settings so each page shows 50 posts, and as a result, this thread is only giving them three pages of free advertising...   ;)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: November 15, 2013, 08:56:40 pm
As for the bikes, I really do like the looks of the Sporty, but even the 883 is just too heavy and vibrates too much for me.

Be curious to see if the 500cc/750cc  even comes close to the 883 characteristics...It has what they call a Revolution X powerplant with lineage from the 01 Vrod..Both bikes are 80 lbs lighter than a 883 and have steel tank and fenders...They are using a single balance shaft to minimize the vibration..The stock seating is considered neutral and they added 2 inches front to rear vice the 883.. Either power plant is matched to a 6 speed transmission..Both Bikes are identical except for the bore...6700 to 7500 respectively but I  more like 7500 - 9000 with markup, taxes,etc...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #110 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:42 pm
Yes, that motor looks much more modern than most of their lineup.  I suspect it looks like a Harley but the motor and chassis are closer to the nicer manners of all the Asian clones.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: November 15, 2013, 10:13:47 pm
GHG - don't worry, it's not as bad as you think:  I've changed my forum settings so each page shows 50 posts, and as a result, this thread is only giving them three pages of free advertising...   ;)

I hope so Matt.  But.. They are " Mad Good"  with their touchy phones and all.  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #112 on: November 15, 2013, 10:27:50 pm
Do these things have a kicker, or are they only thumb-starters?
Probably thumb start only, I reckon.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #113 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:36 pm
Do these things have a kicker, or are they only thumb-starters?
Probably thumb start only, I reckon.
Push button only, of course. 

We could start another thread about the Yamaha SR400, coming (back) to Europe for 2014.  Kick-starter only.  Maybe it will return to the states.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: November 16, 2013, 12:06:21 am
Push button only, of course. 

We could start another thread about the Yamaha SR400, coming (back) to Europe for 2014.  Kick-starter only.  Maybe it will return to the states.

Now you're talking...
... true bikes, my word.  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #115 on: November 16, 2013, 12:28:14 am
I would love to see the SR 400 come here.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: November 16, 2013, 05:29:30 am

+1
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: November 16, 2013, 03:44:33 pm

+1

I would love to see just about anything besides another Harley.   ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: November 16, 2013, 03:59:56 pm
Just watched a recent video from Japan where they were manufacturing new SR 400..Nice bike with a legacy (SR 500)...Makes you wonder why they won't import them here. It's not like the bike won't meet our EPA regs...Yamaha must think they're isn't enough of a market to hassle with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06pFjjclERA
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: November 16, 2013, 04:52:44 pm
As a marketing thing, the lack of an electric starter will probably kill it like it did the SRX-6.
After the Britbikes went away, so did kickstarters. The SR500 was probably the last of the marketable kickstart-only street bikes. The hoi polloi just won't buy them anymore. That goes for Enfields, too. Their sales are up because of electric starters, especially when they work!  Some people still want kick starters on their bikes, but they don't necessarily want to rely on them! When was the last time you went out and handcranked your car?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com