Author Topic: 500 cc Harley  (Read 30805 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:02 pm
And someone will.  Harley's marketing is amazing but gets under my skin.  It's the same thing that makes me angry at the US auto industry.  After just getting bailed out because foreing competition crushed them, their current flagship products are just re-hashes of gas guzzling muscle cars, ironically brought out at a time when world oil demand is causing shortages which is what ended the original muscle car golden age.  Are they selling well?  You bet they are!  It just bugs me that a) the best thing our country can come up with is a retread and b) the buying public think that's just dandy.  Meanwhile Japan is kicking butt in the hybrid market and even though Tesla's cars are amazing people still don't want to buy electric.  It's sad when we value nostalgia over progress to such a degree.

Scott

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:52 pm
You mean, like the first four paragraphs of your post?    ;D ;)

Yup. You got me  :)  Touche' for you.

Yes, there are many new bikers I just cannot stand. It started getting really bad in the mid-'80s. It actually stopped me going to gas stations most of the time. Started storing gas in my garage & filling up there. I got sick of idiots rushing over to me & immediately saying something totally stupid like "Oh, You must watch OCC" "No, I HATE them. Leave me alone".I can't BE with them, I can't RIDE with them, I can't TALK to them. And the older ones are worse than the younger ones. They think it gives them an instant "lifestyle"? It gives them shit. Especially the ones who just canNOT keep their mouths shut & prove how much they don't know as soon as they open theirs.

Yes, I'm a tough taskmaster. My bullshit alarms are very sensitive. I can't help it & don't apologize for it. I've earned every ruined joint I have & I built this bloody black bitch from nothing so don't run over to me & tell me you used to have one just like it. This is just part of why I stopped going to gas stations.

I thought of deleting this up to the first sentence because it's SO impossible to get across what you really mean just in typed words, but what the hell. See what happens. I'm really not the mean bastard I sound like. I just can't tolerate smart asses & little pricks & knowitalls & phonies any more. Especially the ones who have zero history knowledge & then try to defend the stupid things they say.

(I'll be sorry I sent this. I just know it).

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:41 pm
And someone will.
Scott

Someone will what, Scott?  You didn't quote anything. It's very confusing to an old, worn out fuck like me when folks answer something but don't quote anything.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 08:35:44 pm
Sorry, someone will buy it at that price.  Woulda made more sense if the page didn't break right there ;)

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:50 pm
"page break" he'll have to wait for the second page to print out on the teletype printer in the basement,,, ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 10:09:01 pm
        Yup. You got me  :)  Touche' for you.

Yes, there are many new bikers I just cannot stand. It started getting really bad in the mid-'80s. It actually stopped me going to gas stations most of the time. Started storing gas in my garage & filling up there. I got sick of idiots rushing over to me & immediately saying something totally stupid like "Oh, You must watch OCC" "No, I HATE them. Leave me alone".I can't BE with them, I can't RIDE with them, I can't TALK to them. And the older ones are worse than the younger ones. They think it gives them an instant "lifestyle"? It gives them shit. Especially the ones who just canNOT keep their mouths shut & prove how much they don't know as soon as they open theirs.

Yes, I'm a tough taskmaster. My bullshit alarms are very sensitive. I can't help it & don't apologize for it. I've earned every ruined joint I have & I built this bloody black bitch from nothing so don't run over to me & tell me you used to have one just like it. This is just part of why I stopped going to gas stations.

I thought of deleting this up to the first sentence because it's SO impossible to get across what you really mean just in typed words, but what the hell. See what happens. I'm really not the mean bastard I sound like. I just can't tolerate smart asses & little pricks & knowitalls & phonies any more. Especially the ones who have zero history knowledge & then try to defend the stupid things they say.

(I'll be sorry I sent this. I just know it).

OUTSTANDING !!.......  Love it.  Sorry !?  For what ?  Good honest non boo shit speak ?  Don't be  ;)   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #96 on: November 15, 2013, 01:55:01 am
Something like this perhaps?

No specifics yet...

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #97 on: November 15, 2013, 02:21:47 am
I like the look of Harley bikes, but I'm not a fan.  I don't like the whole loud pipe, black leather lifestyle and the attitude that if your not riding a Harley than its a piece of crap.  The V-Rod was the most technically advanced bike Harley ever made and it was cast aside like a step child for many years.  Harley makes a lot of money selling an inferior product to a group of people that think they're great.  Not only that but the people think they're so great they wear the Harley label on every stitch of clothing, every vehicle they own and tattoo it on their bodies.  Great marketing of a so-so product.

I hope the new 500 and 750cc bikes catch on.  I'd like to see an 1800cc version of the liquid cooled motor in future bikes; maybe then the bikes will be as good as their riders think they are.  If I wanted an American made cruiser to really ride I'd buy a Victory.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: November 15, 2013, 03:07:49 am
+1     ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #99 on: November 15, 2013, 04:52:35 am
its prolly a sin but I dig the victory high ball

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:13 am
I dig it too, though I doubt I'd like riding it.

Scott

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #101 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:22 pm
I'm not a hater of the HD or its riders as, a rule. One of the people I most admire is a HD purist. (I asked him about his switch to Ape Hangers on his Sporty. His reason was simple. A more comfortable ride for him, so to each his own. Not for me though.)
But I do agree with tooseevee, Scottie, hillntx, ghg, and others about the disgusting mystique that has developed due to the marketing hype for a less than A+ quality bike and the sheer stupidity of those that buy into it for the wrong reasons. No different than the Hummer craze. These people (Bummers and Riders) do piss me off because everything is so obviously about image and $$$. Their image and $$$. They're not into it for the ride, but the need to be seen on the most expensive contraption they can find, even if all they do is take it to the WalMart parking lot and look like they're making a commercial getting there. The whole Logos and Bandanas thing is a real turn off to me. I will not even talk to them.
As for the bikes, I really do like the looks of the Sporty, but even the 883 is just too heavy and vibrates too much for me. The new 500/750s look great too, but I'd have to test ride one before deciding one way or another.
The big ones just remind me of up-graded 1955 Buicks (same for the Indian). No apologies from me there. They just do not appeal to me, cuz I've always leaned toward the somewhat different. Prolly the closest other one out there I'm interested in is the Suz Intruder 800. I like the looks, but haven't ridden one yet.
The more I think about it, the more my next one will be a RE. When they do show up on CL the prices ain't bad.  :D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 04:38:07 pm
I dig it too, though I doubt I'd like riding it.

Scott

your prolly right but there is only one way to find out ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:10 pm
Y'know, I do need to take an afternoon in the spring and go do some test rides.  Who am I kidding?  I'm a slut, I'll ride anything you hand me the keys to.  I just may not buy it. ;)

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 07:46:21 pm
  What do they say about the News or the Press ?

7 pages about a new Harley ON a Royal Enfield forum and more in multiple sections...... Geeez, we need to stop !  ::)   

I even have young kids at work coming up to me and asking me what I think about them ! ....... Gawd ! :-X
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.