Author Topic: 500 cc Harley  (Read 30837 times)

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:17 pm
past history says small hds dont fare to well...people as a whole want big hds as it should be...they have their niche in the market so let other makes have theirs...whizzers,arimaches,veerods,have all been dissapointments for hd...stay and improve the big twin...i have a 1980 superglide and it and my c5 military are so different that i can go on whatever trip i want to be on at that time...ps i also have 3 honda dirt bikes...all above serve a purpose and i respect that...just my personal opinion...
2014 c5 military

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 09:53:57 pm
It has always seemed bizarre to put an engine with automotive displacement on 2 wheels, although I did appreciate & lust after the MUNCH MAMMOUTH motorcycle. The best use I've seen a Harley engine put to is the NEW MORGAN 3 WHEELER Sports car. Look them up, you won't believe the Video road tests. Needless to say, Enfield riders will appreciate them.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:51 pm
yes craig the morgan with a harley was cool...of course the whole concept of a morgan was so brit it was indeed worth looking at and admiring...
2014 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:15 pm
I don't think a lot of Hardley buyers actually ride the things. Certainly not very much. It's just a status symbol to some.
Bare

Absolutely!  But the same can be said for most motos.  Not necessarily the status, but purchased mid-life with good intent, then it just sits in the garage.

I'm excited to see the new Indians.  I think of them as HDs for people who don't want an HD.  While they have much the same heritage and history, they don't have the loyal fan base that will revolt against any design or style change that involves something newer than 1940.  I hope they peel off a little from the usual pirate crown.  I also loved their TV add that showed a guy lovingly cleaning and polishing his HD just to throw a for sale sign on it.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 11:09:20 pm
I remain very skeptical of the new Indians. I was not at all impressed with that companies CAN AM trike, having overtaken & passed several on my 1994 650cc URAL Combo. There are no New Indians to really examine here, but the pictures show a machine very heavily into early 50's DECORATIVE styling. I see no need in the world to resurrect TAILFINS, or to sell yet another rock crushing motorcycle I'd be afraid to meet coming my way downhill on a twisty mountain road.
  Why oh Why doesn't some one resurrect a worthwhile retro VINCENT?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 11:59:46 pm
I remain very skeptical of the new Indians. I was not at all impressed with that companies CAN AM trike, having overtaken & passed several on my 1994 650cc URAL Combo. There are no New Indians to really examine here, but the pictures show a machine very heavily into early 50's DECORATIVE styling. I see no need in the world to resurrect TAILFINS, or to sell yet another rock crushing motorcycle I'd be afraid to meet coming my way downhill on a twisty mountain road.
  Why oh Why doesn't some one resurrect a worthwhile retro VINCENT?

Retro Vincent?

How about a Bullet with slightly modded frame that fits this 1000cc V-Twin engine that has the same bore/stroke as a Vincent Black Shadow, and if it is fitted with a pair of Ace Fireball kits will produce the same power as the legendary Vincent Black Lightning that Rollie Free rode at Bonneville? Would that be okay?
It's on the way, and we also now have GP heads with high ports and roller rockers that may push this over the 100hp mark.
Stay tuned. It's taking Aniket a while to get these engine cases done.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:05:14 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 12:12:23 am
YES, YES, PLEASE! WILL IT HANDLE ALSO? TALL SKINNY WHEELS?  If only I weren't on a fixed income.

ByTheLake

• Scooter
  • Home brewer, guitars, vintage bikes
Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:00 am
I remain very skeptical of the new Indians. I was not at all impressed with that companies CAN AM trike, having overtaken & passed several on my 1994 650cc URAL Combo.
CanAm Spyders are made by Bombardier, not Polaris.  Polaris builds Victory in addition to Indian.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 12:18:00 am
I STAND CORRECTED.  I still think VICTORIES AND INDIANS are 2 wheel TRUCKS.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: November 14, 2013, 12:24:14 am
YES, YES, PLEASE! WILL IT HANDLE ALSO? TALL SKINNY WHEELS?  If only I weren't on a fixed income.

Yes, it handles nicely. It's on a Bullet frame with about a three inch stretch. Basically as nimble as a Bullet, but with 3 inches more wheelbase.

Now for the kicker...
It's made so that there is a way to use UCE top ends on it, instead of the old Iron Barrel ones.
This hasn't been done yet, but it is possible in principle, and we should be trying one out when the engine cases aren't so hard to get.
However, it will use Iron Barrel cams and lifters, so there won't be hydraulic lifters, and you'll have to adjust your valves.
We might be able to get EFI on both cylinders, though. We'll work on that.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:52 am
What's the advantage to using the UCE heads?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:00 am
What's the advantage to using the UCE heads?
No real advantage, other than it's the current production head, and with the right EFI tuning and perhaps a cat, it might pass emissions....
If it does, it can go on sale as a new bike.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:44:06 am by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #72 on: November 14, 2013, 12:52:40 am
Ah.  Yeah, good to be able to use the new hardware, better availability.  Can he use the new cylinders too?

It'd be nice if you could spin the rear head 180 degrees and use a Y intake manifold and a single throttle body between them, but then the pushrods would be on the wrong side.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: November 14, 2013, 01:00:30 am
Ah.  Yeah, good to be able to use the new hardware, better availability.  Can he use the new cylinders too?

It'd be nice if you could spin the rear head 180 degrees and use a Y intake manifold and a single throttle body between them, but then the pushrods would be on the wrong side.

Scott
Yes, and to do that it would need to use the UCE con-rods  and bearings too. Shorter length barrels need shorter length con-rods to go with them. Theoretically, it should all bolt right on, but the ECU and EFI stuff will need to be set up for a twin. Or else use carbs.

Yes, the heads don't allow the reversed orientation for the rear cylinder to share an intake like a Harley. But it works out fine with individual intakes.

But, it will need an Iron Barrel frame and gearbox, because it is not a unit construction design.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:03:12 am by ace.cafe »

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #74 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:39 am
Absolutely!  But the same can be said for most motos.  Not necessarily the status, but purchased mid-life with good intent, then it just sits in the garage.

Most likely true. Just look at all the HDs for sale by owners in Craig's List!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.