Author Topic: Oil leaking around kick start shaft 2012 Class 500  (Read 3319 times)

Sukiaki

• Scooter
on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:22 am
Has anyone else had this problem?  I had it repaired last week but it's worse now that before.  I don't wanna be too anal about it but it's a brand new bike and I shouldn't need to leave it in the shop for 10 days for a repair only to have to take it back for the same (worse) problem...

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:39:34 pm by Sukiaki »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:11:31 am
I know a lot of people identify the buildup of oil on the shelf right below the engines output sprocket as a leaking seal.

Most of them have found that the oily buildup is actually chain lube that was thrown off of the chain as it went around the smaller sprocket.

As I recall, one person actually had a leaking oil seal in that area and it was replaced under warranty.

If the oil is the thin 15w-50 or 20w-50 that is in the engine it will not be at all thick or sticky.
If it is thick and/or sticky oil it came from the rear chain.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:07 am
Same issue on a brand new C5.
It's thick and black and I wipe the little shelf every now and then so it doesn't build up.
Had one occasion where it built up and started to flick up onto the recently polished exhaust and now I can't get the little bastard spots off :(
Some days it's better than others. It's certainly not a constant issue as I check it regularly after long runs, but it seems more common during traffic runs with lots of gear changes.
Other than that, most advice on here is that it's just chain lube.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:30:12 pm
I know a lot of people identify the buildup of oil on the shelf right below the engines output sprocket as a leaking seal.

Most of them have found that the oily buildup is actually chain lube that was thrown off of the chain as it went around the smaller sprocket.

As I recall, one person actually had a leaking oil seal in that area and it was replaced under warranty.

If the oil is the thin 15w-50 or 20w-50 that is in the engine it will not be at all thick or sticky.
If it is thick and/or sticky oil it came from the rear chain.

This is absolutely correct ..... chains sling is most often the culprit here. It's somewhat important to keep that whole area clean and debris free as there isn't a lot of extra room in there for the crud to pile up ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Sukiaki

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:38:20 pm
Thanks for the replies...  However, it is definitely engine oil.  There is also the grease from the chain but the engine oil is leaking onto the ground and leaving spots.  Of course it is also making a mess out of the wheel and the exhaust.  I Had it repaired and it's leaking worse now than before.  I also found a 2 in piece of gasket material sticking out of the case near the kick start shaft. 
The shop mechanic told me that the reps from India indicated there may be a problem with the size of the shaft seal on all these bikes.  The demo model at the dealership is leaking in the same spot. But they sent the same exact parts to repair it.  I don't know how that is supposed to correct the problem? 
They kept the bike for 10 days because they needed to take the bike apart to see which parts they needed.  That makes no sense to me.  If car repair shops did that they would be out of business in short order. 
In any case I will have to take the bike in again and hope I don't have to leave it for 10 days.  I bought it to ride, not to let it sit in the shop waiting on gaskets.

Sorry for complaining but this should not be happening.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:31 pm
Get some less slingy chain lube. I used Bel Ray Super Clean and it is great for not slinging off.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:04:27 am
iv had  the same issue with leaking oil in that spot and it was for certain engine oil, however I found that after using the kick start a few times there was less and less oil leaking. I assume the seal just needed to break in a bit. Give the ol'girl a few kicks everytime you get ready to ride and see if the leaking gets a little slower.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:28:58 pm
+1.
I had the same problem, and it healed itself.
Most likely the seal wasn't lubed when it was installed at the factory, causing the first seepage. When the mechanic replaced it, he most likely repeated the error. Give it a while before you take it back to your dealer. If the problem persists, clean the area well, run the bike normally, and after each run check the seepage to see where exactly it's leaking. Is it around the kick start shaft, or from the edges where it meets the case?
There are several reasons the seal could be leaking, but most likely it just hasn't broken in yet.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:41 am
Make sure you don't have a small crack in you frame. A friend of mine had the same and we thought the kickstarter oil seal needed replacement. But after further inspection it turned out to be a cracked frame - right on a weld - hardly visible but causing additional flex and strain on the sprocket causing the sprocket oil seal to leak

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:08:20 pm
     The kick start seal is installed into a carrier. This carrier is held onto the main case with four screws. Sometimes the carrier is misaligned. This loads the seal on one side of the shaft and it's loose on the other side. This is the leak.
     The fix involves either replacing the carrier with one that is machined better, or you can drill out the holes for the screws. This allows you to center the carrier on the shaft, thus relieving the side loading on the seal. I've had a couple of bikes with this issue.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:21:29 pm by Vince »