Author Topic: Swap exhaust/muffer to other side?  (Read 2724 times)

enfielddan

• Scooter
on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:16 pm
The sidecar and the exhaust/muffler/silencer are presently both on the right side of the motorcycle.  In order to reduce the noise of the exhaust being near the ear of the person/dog riding in the sidecar (and to reduce them breathing the exhaust fumes and to reduce the potential of them touching the hot pipes), I am thinking of moving the exhaust to the left side of the motorcycle. 

1.) Is this possible?
2.) Has anybody done this before?
3.) What do I have to do to accomplish this?
4.) What are the potential bad ramifications of doing this?

Thanks...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:34 pm
I don't think it's worth the bother of having a special exhaust pipe made. My 1994 Ural 650 came with both exhausts Siamesed to the right side of the bike, in between it & the sidecar. There was no bad odor, or undue noise. In fact it was least likely to burn any one there, out of the way.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:18:04 pm
 +1... Not worth it. My CJ 750 is double piped, and it's not a problem.  You COULD take the pipe to a shop, and copy the pipe in reverse ..... maybe ?..... And they would have to weld in a 14mm bung for the o2 sensor.  Also that stock pipe has a restriction in it for the o2 sensor, and an anti reversion chamber. So it may or may not effect the stock EFI system.....  And of course the brackets you would likely have to make to mount it on the other side.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:26:21 am
Hey Gashousegorilla, I for one would love to see pix of your CJ750. Is it a flathead? I really regret letting my old Ural go, & may try to buy it back.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:17:32 pm
I built a pipe for a bike in my garage. All you really need is a hacksaw, gas welder, and disc sander. Go to a muffler shop and buy some 1-3/4" bent pipe and a straight section and saw the bent stuff off to the angle you need to get to where you're going and and the straight sections between. Actually as I recall I think I brazed the whole thing together. The brass was a lot easier to smooth out so I could get the pipe chromed without the seams showing. I did the whole job on a Christmas day several years ago.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:23:33 pm
Nice pic.  Now I want a featherbed frame to put my engine in :(

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:32:33 pm
Call Bud's Muffler in Denver.  He specializes is custom exhaust and is very reasonable compared to other shops.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:01 pm
Hey Gashousegorilla, I for one would love to see pix of your CJ750. Is it a flathead? I really regret letting my old Ural go, & may try to buy it back.

No , It's an OHV mill.  I love it, it's a wonderful lump of reliable pig Iron...... it just goes and and never fails. Simple as a T-34 tank, and built like one too.... oval tubing frame and etc.

Here you go Mr McClure.......

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:36 pm
   And the double pipes.....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:30 am
Nice Rig GHG!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:31:25 am
WOW, BEST CJ I've seen. Is that one of the refurbished ones I've seen advertised? love the polished cases. WAY Prettier than my old 1994 Ural. Got a great buzz from the pix THANKYOU!

PS I'm using a CJ headlight ring on my G5 Deluxe.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:52 am
Nice Rig GHG!

WOW, BEST CJ I've seen. Is that one of the refurbished ones I've seen advertised? love the polished cases. WAY Prettier than my old 1994 Ural. Got a great buzz from the pix THANKYOU!

PS I'm using a CJ headlight ring on my G5 Deluxe.

Thanks Boys.  And yes, it is one of the refurbished military bikes...The oval tube frame is the give away I believe. I'm not sure of the builder, but it appears to have been done right.  I got it from a guy for a pretty good price.  WHO bought it from the guy who imported it, and just let it sit. I pretty much got it as you see... just a little elbow grease.  As you probably know Craig, the CJ, Dnepr, and Ural are very basically the same bike, with different refinments over the years by the differnt manufacturers.  The CJ seems to be the closest (especially the flathead) to that original design by BMW.....I believe it was the R71?  Which was sold to the Russians during the non-aggresion pact prior to the war.  ScooterBob is a great historian with these, BTW.

That middle picture was taken by my nephew . My Older brother past away this spring, and I used the bike as a flower car at the head of the procession. He loved the bike, and sidcars in general...... he was a disabled Vietnam vet, which got him in the end at 61.  And in his last few years was unable to ride on two wheels.  So... sidecars became more appealing to him. But even they were too much.  But I like how my nephew caught the image of the priest and the Bugler from the 1st Calvary (his unit) that the Army sent.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:16:02 pm
Yes, that is a very moving picture.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt