Author Topic: I had not heard about this before, re. Norton  (Read 5976 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:25 pm
Norton Motorcycles are Finally Shipping to the U.S.

10/29/2013 10:01:00 AM

MC staff (from a Norton press release)

Tags: norton motorcycles, norton commando, café racer, hasting house, norton dealer, british roadsters, hand built, quality materials, bulletin board

2013 Norton Sport

The first shipment of Norton Motorcycles for the U.S. was loaded aboard ship, October 24, 2013. The arrival of the 2013 Norton Commando models brings to an end the nearly 4-decade-old drought for new Nortons built in Britain by British hands.

The first of the continuing small shipments includes Commando 961 Sport, Café Racer and SF models. The bikes built for the U.S. have the distinction of being some of the first out of the new production facility, Hasting House. Hastings House is a new, modern facility and provides more room for expansion of production. In addition to future growth, the layout of the Hastings House production area was designed from the beginning to enhance quality control, Norton's "no. 1 priority."

The building of each Norton is unique in this world of mass produced products. Each Norton Commando model is built by two technicians from start to finish. This time-consuming process is part of why shipments to each country are in such small batches, usually 10 to 20 at a time.

With the current number of riders who have placed deposits with a Norton dealer beyond expectations, Norton estimates that it will be well into the Spring of 2014 before the current orders are filled.

Many who have inquired about buying a new Norton have been surprised and frustrated to find that dealers have yet to be assigned in their regions. The time required to catch up with the current demand is Norton's primary reason for not adding more new dealers in the U.S. Norton is cautious to add dealers and frustrate more future owners with long wait times when it will be months before they fulfill current demand. However, they plan to expand with a conservative long term approach, and currently have a long list of dealers seeking to add Norton to their offerings.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:53 pm
Interesting.  Cool read, thanks!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:40:34 pm
I understand the msrp is 25k+
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:44:07 pm
25k, different customer base that's for sure..Jump over tonight and see what they are offering...

Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:51 pm
there are three level of bikes. The last I heard the cheapest one was about $17K. these beasts have been shown at the IMS shows for about 4 years now. They are really nice and but, like the Triumphs twins, are much bigger than their predecessors. The $25K version uses a lot of carbon fiber. For whatever reasons, they have just taken forever to get here. I'm sure US smog crap has something to do with it. Their production rate is very low, too. Four years ago, Matt Capri of South Bay Triumph, was supposed to be their importer, but I don't know whether he is still the man, or not.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:27:59 pm
I think they want a super premium collectors market at those prices.
Also, they have ZERO dealer network in the US from what I can see.
My next bike might be another Royal Enfield or maybe even a Harley or Honda. But I know it won't be a Norton. To me its an exotic bike, not a mass market motorcycle.

But who knows from what I gather Royal Enfield imports less than 3000 motorcycles a year to the United States. So its very possible that Norton will import more motorcycles than Royal Enfield.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 05:52:04 pm
I've seen pics of the bikes at the shows.  They do look amazing.  $17-25k for what is basically a hand built custom isn't really that bad, and one of the few you can get that doesn't look like a chopper ;)  It's definitely up market but I think they'll sell just fine.  There are plenty of enthusiasts out there who will pay for the name and heritage, and the bike looks totally killed to boot.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:04:34 pm
It'll provide a high end product for people who otherwise can only get a new triumph.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:15:34 pm
PLEASE POST A LINK SOMEONE. Curious how different & overweight, & what % Asian bits assembled in England?
But I am a jaded pessimist, after being disappointed by the Hinkley Triumph.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:40 am
the only thing wrong with my 06 bonneville was that it did not leak! not really a proper piece of brit iron.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:48:17 am by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 12:47:19 am
Your saying the 06 Bonnie actually sounded like a Brit motorcycle as it came from the factory?

The '12 Bonnie I test rode sounded like my mothers old Singer sewing machine.  A powerful sewing machine but a sewing machine none the less.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:43:43 am
Nice to see they're shipping to the US, but it's not for me.  You could offer me a new Norton for the same price as a 1975 Commando barn find, and I'd still take the Commando.  Something about turning a wrench on a old brit that makes me happy.

An Enfield for the fun,
a Bonneville for the commute,
and a Norton for the wrenching.

That's my idea of the perfect bike garage.  And maybe a Vincent Black Shadow, as long as I'm wishing.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 05:48:09 pm
But who knows from what I gather Royal Enfield imports less than 3000 motorcycles a year to the United States.

CMW imports well under 1000 bikes a year to the US. Enfield's total exports to the world are about 3600 bikes. They sell upwards of 100,000 bikes in India though, and they are a far bigger producer than Triumph or Ducati (and Moto Guzzi) amongst may others. In the US, Enfields are barely a blip on the map.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 09:52:02 pm
http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/
http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/news/norton-into-the-usa/

I like their looks better than I like the newer Bonneville's. I'd have liked taller wheels, but imagine they do well with what's on them. The Tanks are Beautiful, The engine looks similar to the original at first glance, But it is not. different transmission also, & finally well placed pegs, I give them Very High Marks for design, Now if they perform also.....
Best Wishes, Craig McClure