Author Topic: More growth for Royal Enfield, units up, margins up  (Read 4935 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:38 pm
I've never understood the mindset of people thinking they "need" a huge bike. If its gonna be used for freeway touring, I can see that...but for an all around bike?

The "mindset", as you call it, has a whole different set of definitions for each of the decades from 1903 to the present (11 of them).

In general & I repeat - In General - most people in each of those decades chose to ride a harley davidson simply because they WANTED a harley davidson. Period. They wanted no othe bike. It wasn't a choice between THIS one & THAT one.

Now, with all the huge multitude of things that have happened to us or been forced on us or brainwashed into us in the past 100 years & especially the last 30 or so, the REASONS people chose to ride a harley would fill volumes.

Many STILL buy & ride harleys simply because they want to ride a harley. Or multiple harleys.

Look at me fergod'ssake. My first ride on a harley was on a '47 knuckle at 11 years old in 1949 behind a friend of my mother's (& lifelong friend of mine until he died) & I've been a harley rider & harley history buff since & now I ride an Enfield & I love the damn thing & have a grin on my face every time I ride it (except today. I froze my nuts off & just barely made it home). Explain that  ;)[/img]  And why do I also ride a kick only '77 harley I spent 2 years building after I sold the last one I built? (a mistake). For exactly the reasons people say they wouldn't dream of owning "that thing", that's why. And because I WANT to. I enJOY doing the maintenance most are scared to death of or too lazy to do nowadays.  Plus now you can't work on most of them even if you WANT to.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 04:03:03 am
.......... Look at me fergod'ssake. ...........

OW, that hurts.....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 04:03:55 am
  When did Dungarees  become Jeans......

when they became skin-tight.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:55 pm
I haven't heard that term in a long time...Anyone remember Mom putting patches on your Knees?
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 09:06:49 pm
Yup, on the outside when they were new just to give them a chance to lasting until you outgrew them.  They never did :)

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 09:56:53 pm
  Yeah..... too funny  " Ma, don't ruin 'em !...... Oh man...  I wanted Levi's not sears Tuff skins ! "

when they became skin-tight.

Yeah, and I bet Calvin Klein or some such played a role in the demise of that term.....or maybe it was Disco ! >:(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:02:32 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:03 pm
Mom got me Tuff Skins once, they didn't make it to the afternoon.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:51 pm
Mom got me Tuff Skins once, they didn't make it to the afternoon.

Scott

Yeah LOL !..... But Lee's would be considered cool, at least in my neighborhood. You know, if you couldn't score the Levi's..
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.