Author Topic: Thinking about Continental GT?  (Read 5601 times)

02Electra

• Scooter
on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:50 am
Any other Iron barrel owners thinking about adding the Conti GT to the stable?

I've never been a fan of the UCE engine, but the Conti GT "package" just might swing me over. At the moment the only fly in the ointment is the 29hp figure. Something closer to 40 should've been better.

What are your thoughts? ;)
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:41:25 am
I like the  Continental GT 535 in general. There are a few things about it which I think could have been better, but it is pretty cool.

If 29 hp sounds low , consider that this figure is a crank hp figure, and is likely more like about 22 hp at the rear wheel. So, the 29 figure seems like using crank hp for presenting a more "optimistic" sounding number, when it actually is just 2 hp more than a regular UCE bike has at the rear wheel. But,  the bike should feel like it has more power than that because of its broad torque curve.

I don't worry about the power because I know that we have a kit under development which will solve that concern. The rest of the bike strikes me pretty nicely, and there is still some room for modifications that can show the individuality of each owner. Overall, I think it is a very nice bike which has great potential.

Eventually,  we might get these UCE bikes to be as fast as we have made the Iron Barrel bikes. It may be possible.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:13:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:10 pm
I got to thoroughly eyeball and swing a leg over it at the Barber Vintage Festival a few weeks back. It, like most things, looks better in person. It is everything you may have read about in the many reviews on the web. I would say some of the reviews were nit-picky, but at least the little details were brought up. To me it is another blank canvas, a little personalization on the cosmetics, the chassis has all the right geometry, maybe fine tune or make simple upgrades, and then do as much performance upgrading as you want. I'm certain I'll get one, probably will wait a little to see how things turn out.  8)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:11:24 am
not overly worried about the hp. If it will tolerate WOT. and  If it is nimble and handles well ,  there will be one in my stable.  If you can ride it smoothly, it will be fast. 

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:21:47 am
The few reviews i've read/seen point out that it's a free-er revving motor but vibes do set in at the top of the rev range. So, might be a concern for you guys out on the open US roads.

We're still awaiting the official launch here in India. Will definitely like to swing a leg over a demo bike and see what's up. RE will be asking for a lot of coin for this bike here - and I hope the workmanship is upto the task.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:05:12 am
Might be a bit off topic but Harley is planning to launch 500cc bike at $6700. Supposed to 69mmX66mm, water cooled and approximately 40bhp. This is supposed to be a street bike.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:29 pm
I just bought a 13' B5. The more i see of the GT the more i like, but until i swing a leg over it i will be on the fence. There has to be a joke in the last sentence! ;D ;D ;D

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:44:06 pm
The made-in-India Harley 500&750's might land straight into the Enfield category in the US but here in India they're gonna be priced 2x to say a Classic 500. Also, I would expect to pull my pants down and bend over while paying for the service cost of these Harleys.  ;D

I believe the Conti GT caters to the audience with classic/retro tastes.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:52:30 pm
I think the GT will cost too much money for me.
Not a matter of comparison to cost of other bikes,I just cannot afford the price I have seen.
But,the thing is,it does not have any competition.The other retros are twins.One way of looking at it.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:54 pm
I saw this ad on Craigslist from my local dealer... $5995, which i thought was very attractive based on what Ive seen elsewhere:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcd/4136646826.html

Not sure if I'd part with my AVL, but i certainly want to go for a test ride. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:05 pm
It's a  hell of a good price...if he can deliver!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:17:20 am
That is a good looking setup, it's just too bad it doesn't have the power to back up it's racy looks. I feel more at home on my ancient pre unit oil lamp, as it presents no illusions about performance. $6k will buy you a really nice used Ducati.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:51 am
going to a "motorcycle show" here in Nashville...hoping to see some Royal Enfields there, but not holding my breathe. Have also read about the HD 500 & 750 bikes...and the local HD dealer has been SPAMMING me to death.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:34:40 pm
This was an effort that RE had with a Greaves engine.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:55:47 pm
This was an effort that RE had with a Greaves engine.

That's a sharp bike!  I really like the body styling.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King