Author Topic: 2014 Harley 750 and 500  (Read 6924 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:14 am
Coming soon to a dealer near you.  Liquid cooled and murdered out.  But will it sell well?
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:50:24 am
Huge wake up call for RE since these are apparently made in Haryana, India and US prices are reportedly 6,700 and 7,500 respectively. Hopefully we will see a RE twin, or maybe even the mythical Continental GT in the US one of these years 8).....competition is always good :D

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-mo-autos-harley-davidson-street-500-street-750-20131101,0,443022.story#axzz2jju4VmYh

http://www.motoroids.com/news/harley-davidson-made-india-models-called-street-500-street-750/

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/11/04/harley-davidson-unveils-new-smaller-bikes-for-urban-riders/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:06:55 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:50:04 pm
What happened to Harley's proud "made in the USA" tradition?  Or am I just pretending I remember it?  I guess it's quietly gone the same way of Wal-Mart's similar campaign...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:11 pm
So Harley went back to "Bitch Bikes", interesting.  They spent so many of the last 20 years trying to build bigger and bigger engines/bikes, practically abominating the 883ci, and then they come out with a 750cc?  ???  I'll be watching to see how this plays out sales wise.  I suppose the 750 will suit some of those haggard ass women who ride Harleys to make them look prettier, but can't actually handle a 800 pound bike.  ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:32 pm
What happened to Harley's proud "made in the USA" tradition?  Or am I just pretending I remember it?  I guess it's quietly gone the same way of Wal-Mart's similar campaign...

'Made in USA' tradition has been gradually eroding for the last several years, or should I say even decades. From cars, clothing, cameras, radios (this word does not even exist in the vocabulary of youngsters & teenagers :) ), speakers, computers, shoes ...............

Even the American legends Fords, HD have been 'assembled' in USA rather than fully 'Made in USA'. We have occasionally delved into this discussion before on the forum - what does it mean to be 'Made in USA'. HD has been using non-American-made parts for years.

Back to the topic, from the recent news it seems that these HD Street 750 will be also 'made' in USA for our local market to satisfy the need of its fans in North America. BUT will the parts be Made in India and then assembled here ? or Will all the parts be Made in USA ? That is the question.  Goes back to same - what does the label really mean .... or is it just a slogan like a political statement.

These bikes with smaller displacements will be much appreciated by Indian riders many of whom are crazy for HDs.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporates/article-now-harley-davidson-bikes-to-be-made-in-india-371354?pfrom=home-otherstories
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:33:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:43:55 pm
To me, it looks just like any one of the variety of Asian V-Twin "Harley clone" bikes that have been made in Japan for many years.
I guess that the pendulum is swinging back now, and Harley is making a clone of the Asian Harley-clones. They are out to capture the clone market with their Indian Harley clone!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:10 pm
Why not add then to their American lineup and see what happens...From the pic, its looks good to me...The 500 cc supposedly has over 40 hp stock...Would think the gas mileage and displacement would satisfied the entry/younger market for them ...The price is on target and is right in the mix with Enfield...Yeah too bad it can't be made entirely in the US but most things are not anymore. May be a good move on their part and they will continue to manufacture their higher end products for the dark side riders...I'll probably take a look at one of these puppies next spring. just out of curiosity sake...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:23 pm
Looks pretty nice to me...and you know how I feel about Hardleys. The footpegs are too far forward though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 04:27:00 pm
A video from HD on its design and creation -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFh-lYAtBE

and its introduction at International Motorcycle Exhibition EICMA in Italy with a small clip of engine sound towards the end of video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BztHvbEnk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:47:17 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:04:22 pm
Hopefully THIS will light a fire under someone to put a twin motor in the GT frame. 

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:25:45 pm
I read a review of the two bikes on rideapart.com last night.  Ref: http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harley-davidson-street-750-and-500-2/

It mentions that the ones they plan to sell in the U.S. will be built in the U.S., not India, although it mentions that HD didn't say where the parts for the U.S. builds will come from.

I've never been a cruiser kind of guy, so they new ones don't appeal to me any more than any other bike of this type.

I always wondered why HD even tries to sell anything under the HD name that doesn't fit the traditional HD mold.  We all know how well the VRod went down with "The Faithful".

Harley should just start a new, wholly-owned, but independent brand to expand their business.  Then they wouldn't be stuck with any kind of expectations.  Although I don't agree with how they treated Eric Buell, they couldn't go in this direction with his bikes as he was only interested in high performance bikes and made a miserable effort on that awful Blast model.

I think they'd expand their demographic greatly if they'd build a few "standards" that weren't yet another interpretation of the cruiser.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Cheers,

Dan K.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:52 pm
Great move by Harley to take on the Asian competition in Asian markets.  It will definitely attract a lot of younger folks in non-US markets and is squarely aimed at the mid-size market where RE hopes to be a major player.  I bet there are plenty of folks in India who will be taking a closer look at the now more affordable and rideable HDs.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:29 pm
I just thought of something.....

Why in the World is Harley releasing/producing a new version of their bikes in India?!  Let me clarify.  Harleys ride ride total dog shit on a brand new perfectly paved road.  From what little knowledge I have of India, are not most of the roads there poorly maintained dirt roads?  If this is the case, I foresee a massive epic fail within the 1st couple of years of the launch in India.  Might do just fine here in the USA (as per the attraction of the younger crowd) but I see it doing quite poorly in countries that have mostly dirt roads.

Seriously!  Anyone on this forum who has ever ridden a Harley at any point in your life, regardless of the year of the bike, could you possibly imagine trying to manhandle that bike down a poorly maintained dirt road?  Sounds like suicide to me.

Scottie

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:46 pm
I just thought of something.....

Why in the World is Harley releasing/producing a new version of their bikes in India?!  Let me clarify.  Harleys ride ride total dog shit on a brand new perfectly paved road.  From what little knowledge I have of India, are not most of the roads there poorly maintained dirt roads?  If this is the case, I foresee a massive epic fail within the 1st couple of years of the launch in India.  Might do just fine here in the USA (as per the attraction of the younger crowd) but I see it doing quite poorly in countries that have mostly dirt roads.

Seriously!  Anyone on this forum who has ever ridden a Harley at any point in your life, regardless of the year of the bike, could you possibly imagine trying to manhandle that bike down a poorly maintained dirt road?  Sounds like suicide to me.

Scottie

When was the last time you rode in India?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 04:36:54 pm
I haven't myself.  Just going off of what I've read and seen in videos and a close friend who works there 6 months out of the year.  I apologize if I'm misinformed.

Scottie