Author Topic: Well, I Bit The Front Plate Bullet  (Read 5609 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: November 04, 2013, 02:46:46 pm
     More than 6 weeks ago I ordered front plates from Framptons for my '08 (I've gone all the way Brit, I guess). Anybody worried about their quality - don't. They are gorgeous.

If you order them be sure you get the clips at the same time. I assumed they came with the plates. Wrong! The plates took 10 days (no clips) & then getting the clips added two more weeks because the guy started a week "holiday" the day I sent the email chewing him out for not mentioning the clips in the 5 emails we shared ordering the plates & sending the plates all the way across the briny deep with no clips.

So first thing I did was J-B Weld the two plates together to make them appear as a solid plate:
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:51:50 pm
   Once the J-B set up I filed the edges smooth then filled any gaps very carefully, sanded, prepped & painted the edges black.

Finished product before painting the edges:
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:42 pm
    Drilling the holes worried me the most.

3" from each lip of the fender is just about exactly the center. Just mark 3" from both edges & split the difference. That gives you the exact center. Don't slip with the drill. You'll never forgive yourself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:14:43 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:59:43 pm
       Laying out the rear hole:

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:02:31 pm
    And finished. Drilling these holes was very nerve wracking. My hands don't work as well as they used to & I was terrified (well, almost) of slipping & F-ing my whole fender up.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:03:52 pm
     And one final picture:

Oh, one final note:  As careful as I was & I was extremely careful, I got a few J-B Weld holidays that are imPOSSible to remove. I had all the edges taped to clamp them & some oozed out under the tape that I couldn't see. I was also careful to put the J-B well inside the edges, but a bit still squeezed out. So be vewwy vewwy caweful if you do this. Use tiny blobs far in from the edge. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:12:30 pm by tooseevee »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:08 pm
Looking good 2CV!  How about a whole picture of the 'naked' bike now?  Your bike is my winter inspiration.  ;D
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:12:23 pm
Looking good 2CV!  How about a whole picture of the 'naked' bike now?  Your bike is my winter inspiration.  ;D

I was gonna do that, but it was too cold yesterday & I was hurtin' too much.

Mowing & blowing are killing me now. It's a torture every year & just gets worse. I've got a very "leaf intensive" yard & if I let them get ahead of me I can't move them so it's an every other day torture now until all the friggin' things are gone. I just finished my Monday 45 minute blow job.

Pictures ASAP

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:12 pm
Curious about the ordering process... Did you have to send him a scan or photo of your bike's registration, to get your US plate number?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 10:20:26 pm
Curious about the ordering process... Did you have to send him a scan or photo of your bike's registration, to get your US plate number?

They don't care in the U.K. what we here in the U.S. do to our motorcycles so no verification is necessary from us here.

They require year verification in the U.K. now because you must have a vintage motorcycle to put a front plate on it. They are no longer required or legal after a certain year bike.

If you order plates be sure to talk about the clips. You won't GET them if you don't ORder them. And the guy I traded emails with for a week never mentioned the clips not coming with the very expensive plates. Stupid me - I just assumed they would.

Don't be overly shocked at the price of the clips. They're not cheesy & very strong metal.   

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:46:35 am

Sorry this took so long, but I finally got a Round Tuit today. I took a ride today in the blinding Fall sun & had planned to close the bike down today, pull the battery & change all the fluids for the Winter (I've gotten to 950 miles, wanted a 1,000, but maybe not).

Anyway I froze my nuts off by 7 miles & had to head home before the pain (everywhere) caused me to fuck up & kill myself. I no longer could pull the front brake at all. Never even got the oil warm let alone hot. So I'll give it the good old masochistic try again tomorrow; it's supposed to be 2 degrees warmer   :)  & even brighter   8). Moving back & forth between shade & blinding sun in November is very tricky for me now. I have to look OVER my sun glasses to see in the shade then the next second I'm back to blazing sun. The Indians were right.

But after I got "some" feeling back in my arms & hands I managed to take a couple pictures. Does the bike look reellee  British now? Or is it just my mid-western upbringing?   ;)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:48:12 am
     And the other side:

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 02:31:01 am
Bike looks great with the slicer.  The days are getting shorter with just a few hours of actual warmth.  Tomorrow supposed to hit over 60, gonna go for a ride myself...
Oh Magoo you done it again

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 03:22:44 am
Oh that is nice!  Those open spaces and the minimalist nature just look impressive; I'm diggin it!  What a difference! 

You liken the smaller batt? 

So what's next?  The TM32?  On sale at Amazon for 127  :o
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:08 pm
Oh that is nice!  Those open spaces and the minimalist nature just look impressive; I'm diggin it!  What a difference! 

You liken the smaller batt? 

So what's next?  The TM32?  On sale at Amazon for 127  :o

Thanks. Happy to hear somebody likes it. I'm not around "groups" much any more so the feedback is good.

The little Bat Tree is good. I've tried the electric start maybe 3 times just to test it for killing the bike in traffic or something & it cranks right over.

No, no new carb yet. I think the CV is just fine for the way I ride now (for now) & I know it by heart now (the devil you know is ...  ). It's really running nice & I can play with the main jet finally next season when I'll have my 1,000.

The next thing will be to send my head off to see The Wizard.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:31:19 pm by tooseevee »