Author Topic: Some Cold Idle Action  (Read 6354 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:04 am
I finished tinkering around with The Blackhawk today and was impressed that it started on the first kick despite it only being about 45*F.  This bike just sounds so good when it's cold, and even better when it's warm, but I decided to take a short video right after I kicked her over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gria6U9kZUA&feature=youtu.be

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:46 am
+1  8)
Super, great sound...
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:56:27 am
Any tips for getting the kick start to work better?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:15:22 am
Basic procedure:
1) Pull in clutch and step through kicker. This clears the gear plates.
2) With contact off step through kicker. This gets the oil around.
3) Contact on. Move kicker down until you feel stiff resistance. Let the kicker come back up and hold it on the resisting spot. Then kick through all the way in a resolute (but not brutal) manner.
Voila.  ;D

If weather is below 10°C you might want to repeat step 2) a few times (oil will be thick).
If weather really cold holding the manual bi-starter open will help the start.

If, in the rare case, you failed, the engine might become flooded. In such instance do step 2) once to clear the engine from fuel mixture and wait a few moments before retrying.

I do hope this helps.
Once you get the hang of it you ought to love it, one usually gets a kick out of a kick.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:33:04 am
Nice lopey sound!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:13:29 pm
I knew there would be a few of you that could appreciate a nice chunky idle.   :)

Royalista nailed it as far as kick starting.  Just follow his instructions.  One thing that I will add though, holding about 1/5-1/4 throttle while kicking will usually help quite a bit when kick starting hot or cold.

Scottie

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:30 pm
One thing that I will add though, holding about 1/5-1/4 throttle while kicking will usually help quite a bit when kick starting hot or cold.

Not on a fuel injected UCE.
They don't like to have their throttle open at all when they start.
Using the Bi-Starter lever when the engine is cold will sometimes help them start better though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:51 am
great looking bike -with great uuuumph!!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:45 pm
wildbill - it could be yours!  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:19 pm
wildbill - it could be yours!  ;)

LOL  I'm so torn Mattz.  At first my thoughts were "Wow.  I could make some really great money selling this bike".  Now my thoughts are "Ummmmm, why are thinking about selling the bike?  Just try and imagine your life without it..."  Sure, I'd have a bunch of money, but I'd be sad and incomplete.  So, I need to find another way to make a lot of extra money.  Tony did mentioned something about selling off some of his car collection, so maybe he's planning on making room, mechanically and financially, for the Chief?  Speaking of which, in the next couple of weeks here there is going to be a '61 Biscayne, '55 T-Bird, '66 Chevelle SS and possibly a couple others that are going away.  All in restored mostly mint condition.  :)  I think the '61 Biscayne is one of my favorite cars in this collection.  It has a subtle scream of the original beginning days of Hot Rodding.  Very clean and sexy.

Scottie

Scottie

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:21:07 pm
Not on a fuel injected UCE.
They don't like to have their throttle open at all when they start.
Using the Bi-Starter lever when the engine is cold will sometimes help them start better though.

But it's not a UCE. Is it?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:25:10 pm
            But it's not a UCE. Is it?

I know, I know.  I shouldn't be posting my bike here in this section.  But for oddball stuff like this, this section just has so much more action.  Hell, I was just trying to exploit how good my bike sounds.  LMAO  ;)

Scottie

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:25 pm
Don't worry Scottie it's all good. And to Arizoni's point my UCE demands about 1/8 throttle on a cold start.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:09:12 pm
Not that it's an UCE, but when I was riding my friend's fuel injected BMW I had to blip the throttle with the starter engaged on cold starts to get it to fire.  Just saying.

Scottie

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 03:18:32 pm
Did we determine that the manual bi-starter (what does that name mean?) is the functional equivalent of opening the throttle a little bit?