Author Topic: warranty??  (Read 4114 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:01 pm
I bought a used avl electra at brians harley davidson in PA less than a year ago.  it had 3000 miles on it and now has 5200.  I went for a nice long ride through the new jersey pine barrens and cranberry bogs.  after that i noticed i had a head gasket leak on the left side near the middle.  although, i saw no performance decline at all. the leak is very small.  could a royal enfield dealer change the gasket under warranty?  I motor sports store near me just became a dealer a couple months ago.  so it would be easy for me to take it to them.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:24:32 pm
The warranty on the new UCE powered bikes is only for 2 years and the last year a AVL was new was in 2009.  The UCE warranty is also not transfurable so someone buying a used one isn't covered.

Unless the person you bought your bike from sold you a warranty, your out of luck.

As for the new dealer, talk to them.  Although the bikes engine is about as basic and simple as an engine can get, many dealers/mechanics don't have any knowledge about them at all.
A real mechanic should not have any problem replacing the head gasket but one of the modern "test/plug/play" mechanics that only know how to plug in electronic modules might get lost.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:39:13 am
damn.  Honestly im the type of guy that can do anything with a little direction.  so give me a little direction haha.  i think i can do it. 

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:17 am
The only thing you need resembling a special tool is a decent torque wrench and socket set.  Check the manual and it tells you how, but throw out the torque specs RE gives and stick to 20 lbs ft for the head nuts and under 9 lbs ft for the rocker nuts.
Here's a link to Hitchcock's Tech Notes that walk you through it.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/content9/decoke_your_bullet.pdf
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:44:40 am
cool thanks a lot it was a real bummer to see some oil leak out at only 5200 miles :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:58:00 am
Are you sure your head gasket is blown?

I notice you mentioned the leak was on the left side in the first post.  Now, your saying it is an oil leak.

There aren't any real sources of oil on the left side of the cylinder (left being on the left side as your sitting on the bike).

There is a good possibilty that it is an oil leak from one of the rocker arm covers on any side and because of the air currents blowing around the head while your riding these little leaks can end up accumulating anywhere around the top of the cylinder.

If it was my bike I sure would assume it was a rocker arm cover leak and try to stop it.
Removing and reinstalling the rocker arm covers doesn't involve messing with the valves, springs, push rods or anything else.  They are just covers.

That task is pretty simple just requireing removing the rocker arm covers, cleaning the gasketed area, applying some Permatex Ultra-Black to both sides of the gasket and putting the cover back on.
Course, not knowing which cover might be leaking, I'd do it to both.

This is at most a hour worth of work with no special wrench torquing and if it fixes the problem you've saved yourself a hell of a lot of work + your bike won't be out of commission for days or weeks as you wait for new parts/gaskets. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:02:49 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:29 am
yeah thanks for the advice ill post a picture of the left side tomorrow.  its late and im currently studying for my history of civil society midterm.  the leak was very small on the left side basically in the middle.  I can see that is came from the gasket in between the head and cylinder.  it was so small that i wiped the edge of the fin and by the time i got home it still had not reached the edge of the fin again.  yet it did grow after i wiped it slightly. 

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:15:42 am
Like I say, the only thing that's in that area is the piston.  If it is an oil leak from the usual area over on the right side where the pushrods go up to the rocker arms the oil would have to sneak all the way around the top of the cylinder and then ooze out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Adrian

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:27:16 pm
You might only need to re-tighten the cylinder head nuts, but whether you need to take the head off or not, you will need an extended socket (12mm) for the head nuts inside the rocker boxes, they are well recessed and for some reason the stud ends protrude quite a way from the ends of the nuts, which will stop an ordinary 12mm socket seating properly.

Altogether now - "Never understood why the factory did this..."   ::)

A.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:25:41 pm
finally happened again the other day on my way home from school. got a picture.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:53:58 pm
Looks like it could use an oil change.  Thats pretty dark oil.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:30 pm
It is not unusual for the AVL  engine breather to get clogged, especially in cold weather. When that happens, pressure builds in the crankcase, and pushes oil out of anywhere it might be able to push out of.
Especially if you were going at any higher speeds.
If you have not re - routed your breather the way the AVL owners usually do, and/or cleaned it all out recently, you might take a look at that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !