Author Topic: AVL Electra Ignition Control Unit  (Read 1920 times)

LapinAgile

• Scooter
on: February 22, 2014, 07:11:03 pm
You should also look at the Ignition Control Unit.
I'm guessing it is under the seat and has several wires attached to it.

If you find a black plastic box it is the old model.  If it is green, it has been updated to the latest configuration.

My reading leads me to believe the old black control unit could set the ignition timing wrong during starting causing starting (and sprag clutch?) problems.

The folks at Classic Motor Works (the importer of the RE into the US) will send you the new green replacement (free) if you call them and give them the serial number of your bike.
I think you can reach them at the same number that is used by "nfieldgear", the web site that sells all sorts of stuff for our Royal Enfields.
That phone number is 800-358-0938.

I may be closing soon on a low mileage '99 AVL Bullet Electra 500, aand this thread by Arizoni caught my eye. If I understand correctly I should look immediately under the seat to determine if the bike has the updated green ICU, if not and it's the older black one I should change it out?

The bike has had one Sprag replacement though caused by a parking lot stall. Am I on the right track here? Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:40:33 pm
In a word, yes.
Change it out right away.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LapinAgile

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:37:10 pm
Thanks ace, it will be done then.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:32:35 pm
I ran with the black box for years with no problems but I kickstart my AVL.  It's as simple as calling NField gear and providing your VIN # so there really isn't much of a reason to wait unless you are lazy like me.  The green one is in now. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM