Author Topic: Engine work  (Read 4573 times)

nisonov

• Scooter
on: November 03, 2013, 04:15:17 pm
Hi,

Took the engine out of the bike and I'm planning to do some performance mods this winter.

So far, I've removed the barrel and gearbox from the engine.

Anyway, Before i begin to remove timing cover and split the crank case, i would like to ask advice from people who have experience in this.  Are there any important points to consider / take into account while disassembling?

BR. Andy

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:34:10 pm
When disassembling,  try to avoid damaging the alloy case joints and cover joints where the gaskets go.
Try to keep the timing cover gasket intact, so you can re-use it , if it's the rubber type.
Try to keep track of all the shims on the cams and idler gears, and which ones go where, so you know where they all go back on later.
Remember that the worm nut on the timing side crankshaft is a left-hand thread.
You might have to use heat on the timing pinion gear to get it off the crankshaft.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:06:38 pm
BAG N TAG!!!

Get a box of Ziploc baggies and put all your hardware from each individual area in it's own baggy and label the baggy with a Sharpie so you know exactly where the bolts ect. came from and need to go back to.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:30:50 pm
       good one scotty j.
    use your digital camera and take way to many pictures;
     you can't have enuff.  also, whenever I did mine I wrote down
     the uninstall steps at the end of each session. Then all ya gotta do
        is start at the bottom of the page and werk your way up.
              - Mike 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:33:13 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 01:14:00 am
What Scottie and Baird said.  Parts in zip bags sorted by by assembly and tagged, bags stored in dedicated and labeled boxes, good sequential photos and maybe a notebook for comments.  6 months from now you may not remember something you thought was very minor at the time.  You don't' want to be sorting through a box of nuts and bolts trying to find the right ones for what you're assembling today or going out to buy things (or order them).  It's also easy to forget where the bag of timing cover bolts is if you just throw it willy-nilly in a box of transmission bits.
Also, life is happier come assembly time if you clean and degrease small parts before you store them away.  Or, at least before you start reassembly.
Go see an airplane going through an inspection or maintenance: all the nuts and bolts are in heavy duty vinyl bags and tied to what they go with.  Every nut and bolt has to be accounted for before it can fly again.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:14:49 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your advice!

Zip bags and torch purchased today.... Camera is ready! :) Can't wait to move further with my plans!

Andy

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:42 pm
One more... GO SLOW... take a break... get rest... you rush it you will screw it up...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:02:10 pm
Oh!  And don't force anything apart.  If something doesn't want to come apart, take a closer look.  You probably missed a nut or bolt somewhere, or possibly there is a special technique for that particular part.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:06 am
and for the people who don't want to do such a thing... don't drink a 5th before hand.   ;D
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:46:13 pm
and for the people who don't want to do such a thing... don't drink a 5th before hand.   ;D

Yeah, even beer breaks can screw things up.
And don't let buddies or neighbors come over and watch - you'll never get done!  :-X
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:11:50 pm
Oh!  And don't force anything apart.  If something doesn't want to come apart, take a closer look.  You probably missed a nut or bolt somewhere, or possibly there is a special technique for that particular part.

Scottie

Also, when something does not come apart make sure the threads are not the 'other way'. I don't know which ones, but I know some are......

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:53 am
Thanks!

Great advice guys!
Its friday, so i guess i won´t do anything today.... as i have some beer waiting in the fridge!  ;D

-Andy-

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 08:13:44 pm
OK,

Now the whole engine is in pieces.

I would really appreciate your input about the improvements that should be done before re assembling.

Just to make sure nothing is left undone!

Andy

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:24 pm
OK,

Now the whole engine is in pieces.

I would really appreciate your input about the improvements that should be done before re assembling.

Just to make sure nothing is left undone!

Andy

What are you going to do to it?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 07:01:26 am
Ace,

My bike is year 2008 es iron barrel. One of the last old emission legislation bikes that were allowed to be registered in the EU for on-road use.

I am planning to take this bike around the Black Sea one day. That will require reliability and power to pass slower vehicles... Not to mention the right attitude in Russian / Turkish roads... ;)

I will now replace the stock crank, by either using hitchcock crank or by buying their parts and sourcing the work locally. Also i will increase the cc from 500 to 535cc. Ace piston, cams and intake manifold will be included. FAG x-life bearings will also be installed. Proper breathing system should be restored i guess.

I'm just thinking if there is anything that i should do once the engine is in small pieces. So that once I'm done doing all this , there will be no stone that wasn't " turned" once there.... Drilling, tapping, gluing, welding.... You name it!

I hope this clears a little bit my thoughts!

Andy