Author Topic: Anyone adjusted their eccentric cam spindle lately?  (Read 2388 times)

potboiler

• Scooter
on: November 03, 2013, 03:25:23 pm
I don't know how important this procedure is as outlined in the service manual - http://images.royalspares.com/part_manual/RE-Workshop_manual-II/018.jpg

It's not very clear about how it's done. Does it effect the level of clatter one hears from that region? It looks a real pain to do, what with removing the timing cover and everything. Does anyone on here bother and what are the measurements exactly?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:57:12 pm
You want to hear clatter from that area. Don't try to make it quiet.
This engine is not supposed to be quiet.

The iron barrel engines never had adjustable spindles, and never needed them, either. If you want to know why these adjustable spindles are there, it's because the India home market customers are generally "technologically challenged" and seemingly obsessed with making their bikes quiet. So they put these spindles on there in order to allow yet another way for these owners to destroy their engines by incorrect adjustments. This typically goes along with the obligatory too-tight valve adjustment that goes on on India, trying to quiet those down and causing burnt valves in the process.

If you go in there and mess with that stuff,  you are more likely to do harm instead of good. Just let it be.
If , for some reason,  it has come loose and flopping around in there,  then you have to adjust it.  In that situation,  seek out somebody who can tell you how to properly adjust it, or will do it for you.

The general rule with Enfield valve train clearances is that  in most cases looser and louder is better.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:22:03 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:36:45 pm
IMO, the cam adjusters are beneficial for the factory.

The center to center spacing for gear centers in an engine or transmission require close tolerances.  That is, their location must be accurately machined.
The gears require very small allowed errors on the tooth thickness and the pitch diameter  formed by the gear teeth.

With an adjustable mounting distance the tolerances on the gear teeth and pitch diameter can be much larger and precision mounting distances becomes a non issue.

If the engine was properly built with the gear mounting adjuster distances set for the gears in your engine, that's about as good as it gets.

If it wasn't set right to begin with, after the engine gets a few hundred hours of run time on it the gears have adjusted themselves to each other and changing the mounting distance may do more damage than just leaving it alone.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:52 am
Hi Potboiler,
I generally follow the adjustment as below:
1. Keep the pushrods slight loosened
2. Align the timing marks on the cams
2. Remove the inlet cam while holding up the follower with a finger ( ensuring the timing exhaust cam doesn't rotate) and insert a small block of rubber to hold up the inlet follower and pushrod ( NOTE: in case you do not do this the pushrod will come out of the rocker groove and you'll have to open up the tank, and rocker boxes so that you can re-fit the pushrod. It maybe advisable to actually remove the tank, and rocker cover before working on the cams. )
2. Adjust the Exhaust cam first for backlash against the timing pinion
3. Install the Inlet and adjust that w.r.t. to the exhaust cams.

I never tighten the cams too much as it will result is a strange 'humming' sound which certainly can't be good as it will definitely put load and wear out the cams.
I always finger tighten the spindles till min. backlash is achieved and the tighten the lock nut at this point. Any tighter makes the bike hum. I guess the light tip-tap sound which you hear once the bike is warm is a standard phenomena if your tappets and cams are adjusted properly.

Here is a video which I found and may be helpful. Its for adjusting a UCE cams but the procedure is similar for the adjustable spindles.
Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noANYelOdGY