Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 124631 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #120 on: March 30, 2014, 11:31:41 pm
Interestingly, I just got an email nibble about this Big Head high-lift headwork from a racer in Oz.
Seems the word is getting out.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:27 pm
Interestingly, I just got an email nibble about this Big Head high-lift headwork from a racer in Oz.
Seems the word is getting out.

EDIT/DELETE:

On second thought.......  Let's just say you're taking over the Enfield Performance industry!  You're kicking ass and taking names!

Scottie J
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:56:23 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: March 31, 2014, 07:06:35 pm
We inched a little closer to our goal today, with the cylinder barrel machined down to the shorter height required [count the fins], the bottom of the liner also coming off. Just quickly collecting about 70 percent of what came off the barrel gave a reading of nearly 600g on the scales - you would need to drill lots of holes to get rid of that sort of weight!
 The top end was roughly assembled to reveal the squish and bumping clearance of the mock up piston and cylinder head are virtually perfect with one barrel spacer and a couple of suitable base gaskets fitted, one on either side of the spacer.
 Tomorrow, we will know how well the valves clear the piston [or not], going over TDC overlap. This means we may be putting the piston design into metal very soon. Exciting times draw nearer!
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #123 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:44 pm
I predict you need a quarter inch of room for lift over TDC on the inlet side.

The rig is looking awesome!
I am absolutely on the edge of my seat with anticipation!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:23 pm
Looking fantastic BW!  Absolutely can't wait too hear/see you fire this baby up!   :D

Scottie J

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:13 am
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere else, but I gather that crankcase is English vs made in India?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:50 pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere else, but I gather that crankcase is English vs made in India?
Yes.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:06 am
We now know what the weight of our custom made pistons will be, so this has enabled us to box the crank up and send it off for a new big end, further lightening and rebalancing. This will be a major step forwards, as once we have the crank back here after being sorted, I will build the bottom end ready for trial assembly work on the top end, as we should have the pistons here by then as well  ;)
 Here is a link to a dark, murky video showing the play in the big end as it was when the engine became rattly at a Mallory Park practise session - it was clearly time to strip the engine and take a look at it !!
 B.W.
http://s956.photobucket.com/user/rossemma/media/RE500No2crankwithwornbigend2.mp4.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:53:00 am by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:41 pm
The rebuild process has begun at last !
 The reconditioned and much lightened [even more] crank assembly came home the other day and after much admiration of such a thing of beauty, new main bearings [four of them] were fitted into the crankcases and the crankcases assembled into a working bottom end.
 A modification was made to the drive side case, to enable fitment of a modern type lip seal, instead of the old bit of cork sandwiched between two washers, which never really works properly - this will also help prevent any air being drawn into the crankcase when the piston is on its' upstroke, a one way valve will be fitted on the crankcase breather  ;)
 [FAB in the picture titles stands for Fireball Asbo Bullet]

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:55 pm
More pics ...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: June 21, 2014, 02:42:48 pm
Looking very nice indeed!

I noticed in the  picture, which is labeled  RE 500 No2 FAB rebuild 6.JPG, that between the cam spindles, there is no oil catcher or passage to feed the roller bearing from behind, like there is in the India-made cases. In the India-made cases, there is a drilling from above, between the cam spindles, and also a larger spot drilling at the entrance of it to act as an "oil scoop" for this oil passage drilling.

What's up with that?
Is that the way all the old Redditch cases were?
Maybe adding the oil drilling there might help lubricate those rollers?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:11:01 pm by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #131 on: June 21, 2014, 05:11:19 pm
Hi Ace.
 Originally, there was a bronze bush where that small needle roller is now sited and the bush would have been scrolled internally, to assist with the lubrication of the one and only roller bearing fitted as standard. I surmised that the small needle roller which I have added [included in previous builds] would allow plenty of oil past from the timing chest when the engine is running. It seems to work just fine for us  8)
 B.W.

Bulletbaz

• Scooter
Reply #132 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:58 pm
Forgive my ignorance Paul - but what's that big red tool in the top picture, and what is it doing to the crankcase? Thanks!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:18 pm
Forgive my ignorance Paul - but what's that big red tool in the top picture, and what is it doing to the crankcase? Thanks!
Hi Bulletbaz,
 That is an enormous valve seat cutting tool, from my days as a marine engineer - in the picture, I am using it to remove a lip in the drive side crankcase [Redditch type], in order that a modern press in lip seal can be fitted in place of the old cork ring squashed between two washers. I have used it for various other similar operations, including reclaiming a broken through timing side main bearing housing on a 350 Redditch Bullet, after an alloy welded repair - this damage was caused by someone not fitting the thrust washer on the timing side, allowing the timing side main bearing inner race to wander around and merrily grind its' way through into the timing chest ! Nasty  :o :o
 B.W.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:57:12 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:23 pm
Paul, you are one handy man.    I hope to one day have a garage with lathes and industrial valve cutters and what not and hopefully be half as talented as you.  Great job once again.   :)   

And speaking of you doing custom work, how much would it run me to have you build me one of those custom 5 speeds you do?  I'm going to need something like that once I get my motor built.   ;)

Scottie J