Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 124661 times)

scottynewitt

• Scooter
Reply #105 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:56 am
Keep us updated on what sort of BHP you manage to get it sounds all very interesting

Scotty

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #106 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:53 pm
Keep us updated on what sort of BHP you manage to get it sounds all very interesting

Scotty
We are all very keen to see how much hp there will be, and also how broad the power curve will be. We want to look at the breadth as well as the peak. The cams have lobe centers which generally are expected to round off the hp peak a bit , for the benefits of broader power curve and more rpm extension above the peak hp rpm. We shall have to see how all these things come together on the Dyno and on the track.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:43:54 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scottynewitt

• Scooter
Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:10 pm
Thought I'd show my race bike project I'm preparing at the moment the engine in the frame is just a mock up so I could make up the engine plates

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 03:04:31 pm
Looks cool!
Where do you plan to do your racing? Are you in the US?

scottynewitt

• Scooter
Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:09 pm
In a wet England so be getting lapped by Bullet Whisperer probably  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:34 pm
Sweet project!  You should start a new thread so we can follow your progress.  :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

scottynewitt

• Scooter
Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 05:44:40 pm
Good idea that if I get 5 mins tomorrow will start putting something together

Scotty

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:43 pm
Just in case anyone was thinking no more was going to be heard about this B.W. / Ace project, it is still very much 'on', but there hasn't been much to report while we have been waiting to fine tune a piston design. This is almost done, now, so we will soon know the numbers we need for crank balance and once the big end and crank are done, the engine will be put together again. The valve and rocker gear from Ace look the business and we are aiming for a very high standard with all of the other components. Even the frame has been checked, repaired and modified for more strength and better handling, the forks have also been overhauled and modified a little, so this bike ought to be quite different in several positive aspects in comparison to its' last incarnation. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I can post some worthwhile pictures  ;)
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:16 pm
Do you care to mention who is designing and fabbing the piston?    ::)

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: March 12, 2014, 12:48:47 pm
Do you care to mention who is designing and fabbing the piston?    ::)

Scottie J

Since it appears that B.W. is busy, I'll just say it is being designed be B.W.'s team to certain specs needed for the application. I have seen the drawing of the crown, and it looks real good.
I don't know who will make the final product, or if they will do it themselves.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: March 29, 2014, 07:09:22 pm
Some news - sorry for the delay - there have been some developments, our 'mock up' piston arrived and a temporary bottom end has been assembled and fitted with it. This has enabled me to get an accurate enough idea of the required cylinder barrel height, to begin machining work on a barrel. We will then be able to make any last detail changes [if required] to the piston design, before going ahead having them made in alloy. As soon as that is done and it won't take long, we will know the weight of the pistons and therefore the balance factor counterweight required for the crank which can be modified as required and fitted with a new big end. And then, we just have to put it all together and see what happens !! You can see our 'Big Head in the pictures, with Ace's special high ratio rockers fitted. It also has titanium valves and special springs by Ace, to suit our needs.
 [As usual with my pictures, it may be necessary to click on the links below them to avoid them being totally huge  ::)]
 B.W.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:13:46 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: March 29, 2014, 07:35:29 pm
Aha!
I see what you are doing there!
Looks awesome!

BTW, I wanted to say that if you want easier access to the lash adjuster on the rocker arms, you can drill and tap access holes in the tops of the rocker boxes above each of the adjusters, and plug them with brass pipe plugs. This allows you to grind down a narrow 12-point spanner to get in from the rocker covers and on to the lock nut, and you can put a screwdriver down thru the access hole, and make lash adjustments without removing the rocker arms.

Everything is looking great!

I have contacted the webmaster of a popular motorcycle blog(The Kneeslider), to see if we can get some coverage about your bike and this project out on the web. I haven't heard back yet, but I will try to get him to contact you for some info/quotes for the article, if he decides to write about this.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:17 pm
Aha!
I see what you are doing there!
Looks awesome!

BTW, I wanted to say that if you want easier access to the lash adjuster on the rocker arms, you can drill and tap access holes in the tops of the rocker boxes above each of the adjusters, and plug them with brass pipe plugs. This allows you to grind down a narrow 12-point spanner to get in from the rocker covers and on to the lock nut, and you can put a screwdriver down thru the access hole, and make lash adjustments without removing the rocker arms.

Everything is looking great!

I have contacted the webmaster of a popular motorcycle blog(The Kneeslider), to see if we can get some coverage about your bike and this project out on the web. I haven't heard back yet, but I will try to get him to contact you for some info/quotes for the article, if he decides to write about this.
Hi Ace,
 Glad you like it and thanks for the info regarding rocker adjustment access, I will see how it goes as is, but it is good to know there is a back up plan if needed.
 I would be happy to co-operate with any possible write ups and hopefully we can have this machine running for mid season, all being well.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: March 30, 2014, 09:50:09 pm
Here is a short clip of a cylinder barrel being shortened, by yours truly ...
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:02 pm
Sweet!

You know what's the best part about all of this?  For 50 years or more, people have said that what you are building is completely and insanely impossible.  But yet here you are,  attempting to TRIPLE the HP in a 500 Bullet!  It's such an awesome time to be a part of!  But of course, Ace the Mad Moto Scientist has a big part to do with these accomplishments.  :D  And as you know, Tom is also helping me to triple the HP output on my 700 twin.  Again, previously insanely impossible.  Doesn't it feel great to push the envelope into new realms!?   :D

Scottie J