Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 124601 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 01:42:28 am
It is clear now that some of the top Bullet road racers and a few performance oriented street riders are seeing the potential in this new Ace system.

This advance represents a "sea change" in Bullet performance, and things really are never going to be the same again. We're very pleased to be bringing this important performance upgrade to the Bullet world.

For some of those reading who might not understand the impact of a system like this on a Bullet world in which it was not available, it cannot be overstated how important this is.
It's all about increasing the flow in and out of the cylinder, you need more flow to make more power. This allows the Bullet to be on an equal(or perhaps better) playing field as the Norton Manx or Matchless G50, or any of the legendary racing 500 single cylinder motorcycles.

Our goal for this engine is to provide competitive/winning Bullet engines that can compete and win on the vintage road racing track against any other single out there, at a cost that is significantly less than the others. We feel that this will breathe new life into the vintage racing scene, because these other vintage bikes are rare and expensive collector items now which people are hesitant to race, due to the risk of wrecking. If we can make a bike which is just as fast(or even faster) at a much lower price, and is an affordable and available machine not a priceless collector item, it could become the mainstay of vintage single 500 racing.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 06:32:57 pm
Ups delivered my cylinder head to Mondello's yesterday!
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 08:11:23 pm
Ups delivered my cylinder head to Mondello's yesterday!

I checked on it, and they said it's there.
The bad news is that they won't be able to get to it until they re-open after the holiday.

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 07:09:27 am
Great history in the making is what I am thinking reading the thread !!

I am kind of picturing both Paul and Ace at the salt flats very soon. And I guess most of it has to do with me watching 'The world's fastest Indian' multiple times !!!

Good Luck to you guys ! Hope you share this journey will all of us - make a video journal !!  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:11:56 am by TejK »

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:02 am
Congrats Ace! We are all pleased for you and honoured that a bit of your knowledge is in a lot of our bikes!
Yankee ingenuity and Pommy persistance...great blend! :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:01 am
Looks like they have started using Carrillo rods on those cranks.
Same rod as we use.
It's a nice crank set-up.
Real strong.
That conrod will probably be made by Alpha bearings for Hitchcocks, as they have recently started making such things. They [first?] made a rod like that a couple of years back, that being a one - off for our 'short rod' 350 race engine, which retains the standard 70 X 90 dimensions. This machine was taken to 8000 rpm on the dyno on countless occasions and even saw 10,000 rpm once on the track! So, probably not Carillo, but vey strong nonetheless  ;)
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 09:42:53 am
That conrod will probably be made by Alpha bearings for Hitchcocks, as they have recently started making such things. They [first?] made a rod like that a couple of years back, that being a one - off for our 'short rod' 350 race engine, which retains the standard 70 X 90 dimensions. This machine was taken to 8000 rpm on the dyno on countless occasions and even saw 10,000 rpm once on the track! So, probably not Carrillo, but vey strong nonetheless  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 03:32:41 pm
I have to give props to our porting expert.
Again and again, he consistently gets more flow out of any given size port than the theoretical guidelines say he should be able to get.

The quality of this porting work also shows up when measuring the flow at the valve curtain at various valve lifts, and comparing against the theoretical maximum flow thru the valve curtain area at these lifts. This is the "discharge coefficient at the valve". Consistently in the top ranges for this discharge coefficient.

I know the techniques which are used in order to do this, but I don't think many other people do. It's not a "trick". It's just knowing how to reduce flow losses in a really expert way.
You should see the amount of flow that is coming thru Bullet Whisperer's port now! It's really moving some BIG air. Most people would say it couldn't be done.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:40:39 pm by ace.cafe »

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 09:04:30 am
I might not show up much, especially in these "expensive work that I one day hope to be able to afford" threads, but, I just have to say how proud I am to "know" you guys, doing something so awesome for such a cool bike. Also the tech side of this stuff is very well written. I am a tech geek and am gifted with the ability to understand machines and the like without reading much about them, but you guys take it to a different level.

One question, regarding heads: Have any of you heard of "Coates" engines?

http://www.coatesengine.com/

If so, to what extent do you feel the design feasible as far as adapting to an Enfield? the idea being higher revs and better flow efficiency right?

thoughts?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 03:44:57 pm
The rotary valve idea has been around since the 1930s, and maybe even earlier. It does have some strong points over the normal poppet valve system. However, the sealing issues have never really been solved, so the rotary valve engines have never been commercially viable.
I have looked at the Coates rotary valve system before, and it looks good but I am not sure if they have really solved the sealing problem. We'll see.

Anyway, it could be implemented on any cylinder head that was designed, cast, and produced to use it  it is not an add - on type of system. I don't think it would be allowed in vintage racing classes.

If we undertook something like this in the future, it would almost certainly be for the modern production engine like the UCE. But it's not likely.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:38 pm
OMC came out with those in the early 70s. They won every outboard race going at the time except they couldn't make them stay together. Went to school for them and they were the big thing then. Probably still have all the tech stuff I was given at the time.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:09:16 am
The concept is sound but the perfection of design and materials are yet lacking eh?

Like the Wankel Rotary Engine and its similar issues...

I appreciate the answers, I wondered if they could be adapted easily to any engine or not, and not seems to be the answer.

the thing about pistons and valves is the same as the fall not killing you, the sudden stop.

They have to reciprocate and come to a near stop at some point... I'm just a sub-genius-wannabe-electro-mechanical-engineer, trying to find a way to make a better wheel...

I come from inventor blood and I'm itching to figure out something... I have more steam and smoke and gears in my brain than the industrial revolution had.

Thanks again! You Guys ROCK!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:51 pm
The concept is sound but the perfection of design and materials are yet lacking eh?

Like the Wankel Rotary Engine and its similar issues...

Not to hi-jack, but Wankel Rotories are in a class of their own.  And if they were flawed they wouldn't still be making them today.  Have seen a turbo 20B Cosmo Turbo in action?
They eat V8's for breakfast.  The twin turbos lay down over 700hp @ 9,000 RPMs.  But they are lot like an Enfield.  You have to tear them down a fairly regular basis for decarbonization and apex seals (the equivalent to piston rings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8536vxMas

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Stage5.jpg

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 04:11:19 pm
Not to hi-jack, but Wankel Rotories are in a class of their own.  And if they were flawed they wouldn't still be making them today.  Have seen a turbo 20B Cosmo Turbo in action?
They eat V8's for breakfast.  The twin turbos lay down over 700hp @ 9,000 RPMs.  But they are lot like an Enfield.  You have to tear them down a fairly regular basis for decarbonization and apex seals (the equivalent to piston rings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8536vxMas

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Stage5.jpg

I'm here to tell you that a rotary valve isn't required to get a huge amount of flow like that one does, and Bullet Whisperer's head is living proof of it.

I can't publicly say how much flow we're getting out of this head, because it is private information for the racing team, but I guarantee that your jaws would drop to the floor if you knew what we are getting from this head!

I have always been quite conservative about doing head mods on street bikes to preserve their "street manners" and get high longevity and reliability over many thousands of miles.
However, on this job, it's getting "all the marbles". It's a race bike, and the checkered flag and the podium are on the line, and we're giving it all we've got!

I would like to put this bike on the Isle of Man. I haven't mentioned this to BW yet, but my wish would be to get this package sorted and fine-tuned to a winning combination during this year's race schedule, and then aim right at being the first 500cc single across the finish line at the Isle of Man TT.
I think that this bike will have a real shot at it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:18:49 pm by ace.cafe »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:50 pm
Paging Dave Roper!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120