Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 125846 times)

Otto_Ing

Reply #435 on: May 17, 2016, 09:58:16 pm
That might be possible, but the bearing I have chosen is huge and should be up to the job. It is also over 30% wider than any others usually found in there and no crankcase modification was required to fit it  8)
 B.W.

With this sort of bearings additional width is more worth than a slightly bigger diameter if I am not mistaken. Optically without knowing the exact size it looks well proportioned. Good luck for the season anyway. :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #436 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:51 pm
With this sort of bearings additional width is more worth than a slightly bigger diameter if I am not mistaken. Optically without knowing the exact size it looks well proportioned. Good luck for the season anyway. :)
Thanks !!
 B.W.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #437 on: May 18, 2016, 06:25:35 am
 It's a jewel.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #438 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:50 pm
It's a jewel.
Thanks, Ice - it is now a runner once more, too  ;)
 B.W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDw6r16nTY

Otto_Ing

Reply #439 on: May 18, 2016, 08:45:38 pm
Sounds very good!  8) ...so what is the Run-In procedure for a race bike or is there any?

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #440 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:34 pm
There isn't really the option of racking up hundreds, or even thousands of miles. In the case of this engine, the only new component is the crank and timing side main bearings, so it is pretty much good to go.
 However, for a newly built race engine, I start off with a couple of trips up and down the lane, maybe get 15 or 20 miles on it at a top secret location  ;), then go to the dyno for setting up and testing. the first couple of runs may be just up to 6000 - 7000 RPM, then engine speeds are built up until max power is produced. If all is well, I usually push them 500 RPM or so past peak power revs and if things have held together after several of these runs, we are good to go, although I like new builds to go out in any available practise sessions before racing, or maybe even do a track day before going racing.
 I run my newly built road bike engines in quickly, too - here is a Bullet 65 'Asbo 21', with under 60 miles on its' fully rebuilt and tuned top end, being run in ...
 B.W.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jos3GOvQ2hE

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #441 on: September 15, 2016, 06:27:52 pm
Rather than just leaving things 'up in the air', here is a brief update on the FAB 500 racer.
 Since being rebuilt with Ace's high ratio rockers and other modifications, we gained power, but have been plagued with reliability issues and it was hard to understand why - we even had a big split occur in the left hand crankcase and I was seriously thinking of giving it up altogether with this machine. Was it the crank? Was it my modified main bearings' arrangement? Were the high ratio rockers a bridge too far? ... Well, actually, none of the above, not directly, in any case.
 It turned out that even with a matched Redditch factory pair of crankcases, the main bearing bosses were out of line on the vertical plane by 0.018", this was all ok for all the years where just the one timing side race had been used and even where two timing side races were fitted, with a 5 piece crank assembly. The last straw was when I fitted a 3 piece crank and an even larger inner timing side bearing, along with the smaller outrigger one, as before. Now we had a crank assembly trying to force the bearing bosses into line, resulting in the cracked crankcase.
 I won't go into fine details, but I have fixed the problem and a test ride earlier today was very promising, with the engine much smoother [surprise] and the whole bike much smoother, too. The power from low to medium rpm's appears to have increased by a large amount and there may be a small gain at the top, due to the above being sorted, as well as piston to bore clearance issues dealt with and a better squish clearance now being possible.
 I have always had reservations about the 500, preferring the 350 by far, until today, when the 500 rode and performed better than I have ever felt it to before.
 All being well, it will be present at Cadwell Park for the last round of this year's BHR racing, where a championship position is out of the question, but I hope we may find some big gremlins laid to rest at last  ;)
 B.W.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTpjvcOM8k
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:35:51 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #442 on: September 15, 2016, 06:36:54 pm
The crankcase after welding ...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #443 on: September 15, 2016, 07:08:14 pm
The crankcase after welding ...
Looks good!
Wishing the best for your success on the remaining season, Paul.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #444 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:21 pm
Looks good!
Wishing the best for your success on the remaining season, Paul.
Thanks, Ace !
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #445 on: September 16, 2016, 12:32:40 am
Maybe we tend to view Redditch products through rose-tinted glasses and tend view the Chennai produced material with enough scepticicsm to want to test or check every Indian item thoroughly. However, the last generation of cast-iron Bullets' crankcase castings were manufactured on CNC machines, not something Redditch could have had access to!

Sounds good in the video, I hope this is the final piece in the puzzle that lets all the other super parts finally mesh and do their job as they were designed to do.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #446 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:07 am
Nasty looking crack, glad you repaired it.
Nice test track you have there. Sounds good.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2