Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 126443 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #360 on: July 27, 2015, 12:17:00 am
My sister joined me for the Saturday (when it wasn't raining), she got this shot of Ian on the 500 at the hairpin, or North Bend as it is officially known:

and this one of Ian on the Ducati, waiting to go out onto the start:

for reasons that will soon be obvious my camera isn't one for action photos, but I did my best. Same location as the top picture, Ian accelerating out of north Bend on the 500 (lousy camerman couldn't even hold the camera straight!)

and opening up on the Crusader, with the track pointing the right way:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:27:04 am by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #361 on: July 27, 2015, 12:23:44 am
Thanks, Adrian - nice pictures  8)
 Here is a link to a video of the complete race the 500 won ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzNG8Yax9Q
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #362 on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:52 am
Glad we both got some worth posting.

Some paddock shots:

The 500 waits for its moment of glory.

and the 350 before things went a bit wrong:

which inluded this unhappy exhaust push rod:

Now if i'd been prepared for a soaking on the Sunday I could have seen the 500 win! 

Well done, glad your trip down from Wales was worth the fuel!

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #363 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:20 am
Excellent!
 ;D

Awesome weekend for the 500! I would say from that video, that it was clearly the fastest bike in that race it won. It was pulling away from the 2nd place rider on every straightaway. It looked good to me!
 8)

I would say that it's hard to beat a weekend with an outright win, and a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th!!!

I knew it would come. You guys are awesome!
Please convey my congratulations to Ian on his great riding work.
And congrats Paul, on your getting the 500 engine together in time for the race, and tuning it up to winning form!

Very happy! Very happy, indeed!
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #364 on: July 27, 2015, 12:32:01 pm
Thanks for posting the nice photos, Adrian!

And thanks, B.W., for the link to the video of the winning race. I enjoyed seeing Ian out front!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #365 on: July 27, 2015, 02:40:13 pm
Awesome news!  Congrats on all the fine podium finishes!  Excellent work team!  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #366 on: July 28, 2015, 01:10:28 am
Just in case there is any question about this, the Fireball Asbo Bullet(F.A.B) 500 beat a very competitive Seeley G50 and some Norton Manxes to win that race.
 8)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #367 on: July 28, 2015, 11:13:16 pm
Thanks for all the positive words!
 All being well, the 350 should be running again tomorrow, subject to the expected arrival of a rocker spindle. Everything else is sorted and back together on this machine.
 The F.A.B. 500 will have a check over and gearing change, to make it ready for Darley Moor in just over two weeks time, when the next round takes place  ;)
 B.W.

KenKZN

• Scooter
  • 1999 Lightning Iron Barrel 500 - KZN, South Africa
Reply #368 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:25 am
Congratulations on the win, you guys are awesome. Perseverance and teamwork even beyond the family and nation, very well done!

Otto_Ing

Reply #369 on: July 30, 2015, 08:54:08 am
Congrats! It is a very potent machine this F.A.B. 500...
...but what does Asbo mean???

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #370 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:22 am
Congrats! It is a very potent machine this F.A.B. 500...
...but what does Asbo mean???
There is a little story behind that name. In Britain, we have [or had until recently] a thing called an 'Antisocial behaviour order', or 'Asbo' for short. These were issued to badly behaved people who were not bad enough to be put 'inside' - like noisy neighbours, for example.
 I had started tuning Royal Enfield Bullets before I had even thought of giving them a name of any sort, but one day, I was out on my own tuned 500 Bullet, when a name came to mind. Starting up in the street in my local town, the bike gave a sudden, loud bark as it fired up and several people in the street turned to see where the noise was coming from, but one guy jumped right into the air, then shouted and swore at us !
 Mentioning this on the MBR forum, I commented that if any machine deserved an 'Asbo', this was it. The rest, as they say, is history  8).
 That bike is pictured below. It could raise the front wheel in 1st and 2nd gears and topped out at 90mph. Still running, it now lives quite local and belongs to a friend of mine who never gave up trying to persuade me to sell it to him.
 B.W.

Otto_Ing

Reply #371 on: July 30, 2015, 12:02:33 pm
Nice a story and a good name  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:07:46 pm by Otto_Ing »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #372 on: July 30, 2015, 06:01:58 pm
Interestingly, the basis for this F.A.B. 500 engine is the venerable Iron Barrel Bullet 500 engine, and not the newer AVL or UCE platforms.

I regularly read on the forums about how the newer platforms are "so much better" than the old Iron Barrel engines, which I find very amusing.
This might be true in the case of a totally factory stock engine comparison between the Iron Barrel and the UCE. However, I assure you, and it is self evident in the discussions on this thread, that a properly modified Iron Barrel engine is quite capable indeed, and the comparison vs the UCE or AVL engine platform ends when the performance modifications begin.

I am not aware of any AVL or UCE engines producing in the neighborhood of 55hp at the crank, or reaching 8200 rpms regularly in any kind of use, including on the track like this bike does.

As far as I know, this Fireball Asbo Bullet 500 is the fastest and most powerful 500cc Bullet in the world that is still running the factory specified 90mm stroke.
 8)

Otto_Ing

Reply #373 on: July 30, 2015, 06:18:26 pm
However, in theory the UCE should be equally tuneable.... ;D

Although you are probably right that an UCE will not give any advantage if tuned for max. performance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:30:46 pm by Otto_Ing »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #374 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:22 pm
However, in theory the UCE should be equally tuneable.... ;D

Although you are probably right that an UCE will not give any advantage if tuned for max. performance.
Yes, I think that with our Ace Billet Head for the GT, which is essentially the equivalent head for the GT, it is possible. For that kind of rev range, there would need to be the same kind of racing transformation done to the bottom end of the engine, and of course a larger inlet tract of at least 38mm(perhaps 40mm, since the throttle plate is in there). With the smaller valves in the GT head, we could port for more flow with the larger throttle body or carb, and probably get fairly close to the overall flow capacity, while being able to take advantage of a much smaller dome shape in the combustion chamber.
It would be an interesting project!
 8)