Author Topic: Tank's done  (Read 1234 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: September 17, 2016, 12:00:12 am
I finely got it clean enough to line. I ended up using 4 gallons of apple cider vinegar to start with then Evapo-Rust to get the last of the flash rust out. Then as per the instructions I dumped in a couple of oz of Acetone to get the water out, and repeated. Then the Red Koat when in. I had plugged the petcock hole with a bit of vacuum hose and a screw and a plumbers test plug (1 1/2") for the filler inlet on the tank. I would recommend if you do this to to leave the filler open while you work the Red Koat around the sides and bottom then plug and do the top as I went to open the plug and it popped off and went flying, nothing hurt but it could have smacked me in the face if I'd been leaning over it. Other than that it was just a matter of turning and rolling the tank all around for 10-15 minuets then pulling the vacuum tubing and draining the Red Koat back in the can. THAT took 1/2 an hour. Now the tank's sitting in the garage drying and in the morning I there's a bit of paint touch up where it had a few chips ( bolt hols and it been banged on the forks more than once) and I'll let it sit the rest of the weekend.

I plan to work on getting the bike running next as I have all the parts (I think, other than a bit of fuel line) to do so. I may need a couple of tools, a timing wheel and TDC finder or indicator adapter. But we'll see     
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:15:40 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel