Author Topic: Mountain Passes  (Read 2601 times)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
on: June 21, 2008, 11:00:02 pm
A few hours to ride and a (mostly) sunny day.  Peeled out of my driveway at 1:30 and was at the  the Cascade Crest by 3:00,  high atop Chinook Pass, (el. 5300 ft.).
Still about 8 or 9 ft of snow in various locations up there, but its one of my favorite rides.  Lots of shifting, lots of grade, and some excellent tight switchbacks to lean into.
I think the Bullet really shines on roads like this. 

The Western Washington Spring has been,,,NOT!!  Fresh snow in places just last week.  Hard to complain though, what with what I've been seeing from the Mid-
west. 

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:17:44 pm
You make me homesick. I was born and raised in the lewiston/Clarkstom area and grew up on two wheels. never even owned a car until I went into the service. We have better year-around weather here in Florida, but our roads are straight and flat.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:46 pm
Trying to talk the wife into a vacation place on the East side of the mountains.  A longer, (and better), overall riding season, and a break from the madness of the Puget Sound area.  Also gives an easier access to anyplace a person wants to go on the Western slope of the Rockies.

I love Florida, and the whole East Coast in general;  (went to school in Baltimore for 3 years), but for me, the West is the Best.  Wide open spaces.  You need to get good and lost once in a while, ya know?