Author Topic: Tire sealant and balancer  (Read 4151 times)

Candoman

• Scooter
on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:26 pm
Has anyone tried "Ride-on" tire sealer and balancer? It's supposed to work in tube and tubeless tires.  It might give a little more security in riding with tube type tires.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:04:05 am
I've heard stories (I have no first-hand knowledge) that the "slime" type products make a real mess inside tubeless rims and when the tube splits open.

I use DynaBeads on my bikes with tubed tires.  Work great as far as I am concerned.

Cheers,

Dan K.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:18 pm
Dan is right on the slime and the beads. Use the beads. Sealers don't work well with inner tubes.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:21 am
I personally use Slime in all my tube tires with great success.  Helps balance and I never get flats.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:28:52 am
I personally use Slime in all my tube tires with great success.  Helps balance and I never get flats.

Scottie

+1
It stays inside the tube and doesn't make a mess come time to change tires.  If you get a puncture it seals it, so a little comes out of the tube, but that is the point isn't it?
Now in tubeless tires, it is messier than the yellow-green stuff in a newborn's diaper.  It can etch aluminum wheels too.  In a tube tire, so what?
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:04:20 pm
+1
It stays inside the tube and doesn't make a mess come time to change tires.  If you get a puncture it seals it, so a little comes out of the tube, but that is the point isn't it?
Now in tubeless tires, it is messier than the yellow-green stuff in a newborn's diaper.  It can etch aluminum wheels too.  In a tube tire, so what?

The only time Slime actually spews is if you slash the tire, in which case you're SOL anyways.  Make sure that if you do use Slime you get the appropriate type, tube or tubeless.  The tube version has better sealing qualities but is also slightly corrosive.  The tubeless version works well too but is designed not to corrode aluminum and steel wheels.  IMHO  Slime only has a bad reputation because it proceeded Fix-A-Flat, which is an absolute joke.  It doesn't work, it never fully inflates a tire and it DESTROYS wheels.  Because of Fix-A-Flat's reputation of being garbage Slime instantly became "known" for being just another awful mess that doesn't work.  The fact is Slime is actually a really nice product and works quite well.  I haven't had a flat on my bicycles in over 6 years.   ;)

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:19 pm
I used Slime for many years in tubeless tires. It works great until you need to change the tire. The guys changing the tire don't like it.
I need to get some for the tube tires, though. I've been pretty lucky the last few years. Haven't had a flat with tubes!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:43 am
I once had a nail puncture in my rear tire while doing 70plus in the fast lane on an interstate hwy. A semi was quickly on my as while I was trying to slow down and move into the right lane as cars were whizzing by. All very scary, after that I said I would not buy another bike with tube type tires.  Well the RE seduced me and now I'm looking for an inexpensive way to enhance my security. The "Ride-On" product advertisements make a good case for both balance and sealing a tube type tire.  I've used Slime before with really good sealing results on tubeless tires with a puncture, but it doesn't promote itself as a solution for balance. Guess everything is a compromise.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:01:24 am
A former co-worker swore by the "Ride-On" product.  Used it on all his bikes.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:37:01 pm
The Ride-On product is virtually the same stuff as Slime.  I haven't used it personally but I've heard good things about it.

Scottie