Author Topic: The Beast Is Almost Done!  (Read 4596 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 04:52:36 am
Ah, the 1954 Chevy.
I remember when my uncle bought his brand new.

I wished he would have waited a year and got a '55 with the new V8 instead.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:53 pm
A couple of years behind you,and a couple of years behind you. The aim is a stock restoration .

It's a '54.

Holy Ape Shit!  A '54 Chevy RIGHT side drive!  Very cool.  :D

My advice for anyone that is attempting or taking on a restoration of their own ON their own.....

1.  Money is not an issue.  OK, obviously it is, but you have to make it so it's not.  Basically, plan on spending a few years acquiring the necessary parts for the restoration.  Utilize and restore what you can, but spend whatever it takes to do the job right and save your receipts.  And do yourself a favor and don't add them up.  You don't want your wife to find out anyways.   ;)
2.  Take Your Time!  Chances are that whatever restoration you are taking on, the vehicle has sat in the weeds or a garage/shed for over a decade or 2.  It's not going to happen overnight, but with a little work here and there, it will slowly come together before your eyes.  Don't rush yourself!  You have a diamond in the rough, so don't turn the vehicle into a small piece of quartz by cutting corners.  Do it right.
3.  DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!  There are 3 target areas of a restoration: Body & Paint, Mechanical, and Interior.  Before you start on the project, evaluate what areas are important to you and where you want to put your money.  Some people it's important to have a full restoration, others it's only important to go fast, some just want shiny paint while others want a nice interior and slamming stereo system.  Decide what works best for you and what YOU want to see into the car.  Also, part of doing your research is also making sure you are doing the job right.  There is an unlimited amount of information between google and youtube.  Utilize your resources to make sure you are tackling your tasks correctly and efficiently.
4.  Make It You.  Unless you plan on doing a 100% original resto, make your new ride reflect who you are as a rider/hot rodder.  More than likely you are restoring this car for yourself and possibly plan to pass it down to your kids, so make the car reflect who you are, what you stand for and your passion and love for building the ride.  Small things can really stick out, like adding fuzzy dice to the rear view mirror, adding a chrome badge/emblem OR removing some chrome and smoothing the car out, or even adding embroidered "Bowtie" or 2 to the interior.  Be creative and keep your mind open.  Listen to friends and family, sometimes someone else may see something that you haven't.
5. HAVE FUN!!!  There WILL be times and days where the project just frustrates the hell out of you.  On these days, hang up the gloves and wait to fight another day.  Working on the project frustrated not only takes the fun out of what you're doing, it also opens the door to mistakes.  Keep calm and collected and only work on the project when you are in the right mind set.  Remember, the vehicle isn't going anywhere, take your time and only work on it when you want to.  Also, it's great to get your family and friends involved if they are motivated to help out, especially your kids.  Not only is it a great way to bond, but everyone feels a little involved and your making progress on the project.

So Remember:  Be Informed, Be Patient, and Have Fun!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:14 pm
Very cool restoration Scotty. My brother had a '57 Bel Air no post in the early 70's. One day I was walking down the street and he pulled up next to me and told me to get in the drivers side so he could teach me to drive. I really wasn't interested but was threatened to do so. Well he gave me instructions on using the gas and letting off on the clutch and shifting the gears. It was overwhelming to say the least. Well he got me going driving down the street and over the hill and to a stop. Through the stop he wanted me to pull into a driveway to turn around. As I was pulling in he was barking orders like a mad man, "push in the clutch, downshift, put on the brake, etc". I did all those things plus gave it some gas and right through a brick wall. As the '57 sputtered to a stop I just looked over at him and said, "I told you I didn't want to drive it!", and he said, "You are right, you did say that. Guess I can only get mad at myself for forcing you to try." Well he never drove it again. It sat in the garage while he was in the army and was sold to a collector for restoration before he got out. You would have thought he would have hated me forever. Well when he got out of the service he returned home and sold me his '67 GTO that he bought in Colorado for $700. This was my first car. At 15 I was the proud owner of the "Great One". But in retrospect my brother was the true great one, and still is today.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:56:21 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 12:12:11 am
FINALLY got around to finishing up the '56 and got some better pics for you guys to feast your eyes on.  I'm going to try and get some video of the car running by next weekend.

Scottie

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:12 pm
SweeeeeeeeeT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely gorgeous, bro! Nice work, and a tribute to planning and patience!
I immediately noticed your reversals of the forward fender chrome over the wheel wells. Brilliant!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:59:57 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 01:25:38 am
   Greatgodamighty! Gorgeous work.

I lusted after the '55, the '56 & the '57 my whole life. The '55 came out when I was a senior in HS (I had a '40 Ford Deluxe Sedan with a '54 Olds engine) & we were all blown away by the '55. The '57 finished us all off with no mercy.

Great job!
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Yep!  I love the Tri 5's!  And speaking of Ford Deluxes, I did the body and primer on a '48 Deluxe Sedan that had a custom hydraulic front clip.  I believe that car got the street/strip treatment.  Not sure tho as I moved to Denver shortly after I finished the body work.  Thanks for all the compliments guys.  I bust my freaking ass on these cars so it's nice to knows that others appreciate the hard work that goes into one of these restos.   :D

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 04:30:38 pm
They are beautiful, Scottie
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 02:44:42 pm
Awesome job guys! *whipes drool away*
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 11:46:40 pm
Well, so, The Beast still isn't quite done.  We started having issues with the new 454 motor and was suddenly running horribly bad.  No matter what we adjusted and tuned it just wouldn't stop sputtering and popping and couldn't even do 55mph.  We fixed that problem with a brand spanking new 620hp 572ci Performance Bowtie crate motor.     ;D  Also ended up having to replace the entire gas tank with a custom aftermarket tank with a high flow fuel pump/sending unit all in one package.  Dominator carb rejetted for altitude and dyno tuned at 602HP AT THE WHEELS!!!!!

Tony and I were working on the very last mod today, the aftermarket wiper motor assembly and finishing the blower motor and duct work for the A/C.  Got the wiper motor installed and working without issues, but it took all day.  We started working on it at 9am, ran into town for a quick lunch break, and finished the wiper install around 3:30pm.  Tony is going to finish putting the dash and interior back together tomorrow morning, and then tomorrow afternoon we will take her for her final ride in Denver before she gets shipped out to NY to it's rightful owner, Tony's brother.

Let me remind on just how custom this car is.  The only thing original is the body and frame.  New custom paint, new interior, custom stereo, custom A/C and power steering,  Billet everything and candy apple red under the hood, 620hp 572ci big block Chevy, 5 speed Tremec racing trans 4.10 gears, AR wheels.......   It goes on and on.  It is truly 1 of a kind.   :D

Scottie J

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:01 pm
 First class all the way, I love it!!!

This one is mine, but not in the same class as yours:

Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:37 pm
Nice!  What is under the hood that made you put traction bars on the axle? 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 05:06:55 pm
Awesome looking car, Scottie!
That candy apple looks like you could eat it!

Home of the Fireball 535 !

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 06:18:37 pm
Nice!  What is under the hood that made you put traction bars on the axle?

Nothing real special, mildly worked 289. It's sittin in my garage with a blown head gasket waiting for me to get to it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:12:05 pm by pushrod »
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:43 pm
Very clean, now fix that head gasket and go cruise!