Author Topic: Bits That Fall Off  (Read 3552 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 30, 2007, 01:05:15 pm
Possible early-warning for those with Classics and possibly those with other models.  It's well-known that the horn mounting brackets often break.  Mine did after about 2,000 miles.  Now after about 6,000 miles, the chain-guard rear bracket has broken.  The break came at what I think is probably the weakest point, just above the  bolt where the rear chain-guard bracket bolts on to the rear fork assembly, just behind and to the left of the bottom swing-arm bolt.  The bracket has a bend pressed into it, just above the bolt-hole, to line it up correctly, and my bracket sheared across just above the bend.

Another spot to keep an eye on, maybe, along with the horn-bracket and the front mudguard stays!  I'm getting my bracket welded back together, so the weakest point will be the strongest point.  Well, that's the plan.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 01:10:00 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:21:53 pm
Thanks for the tips. I'll add them to my maintenance notes to be sure I check them each time. The Electra's horn bracket is simpler as it points the horn towards the front of the bike and has no stressful bends in it.

These photos are from the Yahoo RE forum (sign-in required). They are the results of a broken chain; but could serve as a reminder to check the rear chain guard bracket:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/photos/view/9d5e?

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/photos/view/9d5e?b=2&m=s&o=0

Matt
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 02:23:57 pm by Thumper »

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:23:48 pm
Thanks for the tips. I'll add them to my maintenance notes to be sure I check them each time.

A good move, Matt.  If I had checked this regularly (as I did with the horn bracket because I knew about it) I would have seen it coming.  When the stay is broken you can see how the rear, curved part of the chainguard could easily have been deflected into the spokes of the rear wheel.  The free section of the bracket could also hit the chain. Both events could easily cause devastation like that shown in your broken chain pictures.

When the stay breaks, you hear a rattling noise at every bump in the road.  It sounds like a tin tray with a couple of small nuts and bolts on it, being shaken. Fortunately I stopped right away to see what the noise was, and then took things slowly for the mile or so back home.

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.