Author Topic: possible newbie to be  (Read 3059 times)

motorside

• Neophyte
on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:34 am
A side hack has been on my bucket list more less a long time.  Just seems like something fun to own for low speed riding and it is different.  So came a cross a low mileage 2011 enfield bullet G5 classic with Kozi side car.

Never rode one and distance from dealer to first place I will be staying is 62 miles riding in north georgia.  Then later 120 miles back to an airport.  No interstate riding and might have a friend that can show me the ropes a bit before I do the trip up to get the bike.
From what I have read this may not be such a good idea, not having ridden one before.  Will have that first day to ride it then two more 'off days' to just play around with it on local roads at low speeds before having to do the longer ride back to airport on 4th day.
Thoughts and thank you
not sure why site is asking for verification after first log in though...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:13:58 am by motorside »

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:58 am
As a long time hack driver my biggest suggestion (If you can't get instruction before purchasing) is to take the bike directly from the dealer to the first empty parking lot you can find and spend an hour doing figures of eight.

Learn how easy it is to get the chair up in the air on right-handers.  If it happens to you unexpectedly, you're a goner.

Take it very easy for a good long while after you buy the hack.  And try to find the nearest S/TEP class and enroll.

http://pnwmotorcyclesafety.com/classes-offered/basic-sidecartrike-course-step/

Cheers,

Dan K.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:11 pm
A book is available from Whitehorse Gear in Center Conway, NH (800)531-1133
called "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" by David Hough. $34.95
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:22:23 am

Tomrog

• Scooter
  • Hi All!
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:11:08 am
Motorside,  I have a rig and its a blast, but like DanKearney says; ride ride ride.  A sidecar rig is a blast, but I took the S/TEP course and practiced for about three months before I took the test.  It was easier than I thought, but I did practice a lot.  Them right hand turns can surprise you if you don't know your machine.  I have a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 with a Dnepr Sidecar and its a hoot.  Well worth doing.