Author Topic: Fork seal corrosion.  (Read 1191 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: October 21, 2013, 08:45:42 am
I took a look under my front forks rubber boots today and found some corrosion . I guess they are  trapping moisture in there. The seal doesn't seem compromised ( yet ) .it can't be good though. Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be most welcome . Cheers all. Dave.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:24 am
Whoops, forgot the pic.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:20:58 pm
  A couple of small weep holes drilled at the bottom and the top of the gators, in the crease of the coil may help. I have put on fork gators in the past with holes in them , but never thought too much about it.

Just wondering if it is not moisture from inside the lower leg , coming out around the seal.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:32:04 am
You may well be right, I should change my fork oil and find out.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:13:11 pm
If you have not changed your factory fork oil, it is a good ideal to change it.
As for the rust, I would clean the rust off with an oily rag.
Then apply a little oil to the top of the seal and fork travel with a clean rag.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 05:37:18 am
Will do , as soon as time allows. I remember reading someone else having rusty coloured gunk come out of their forks when servicing...