Author Topic: Brake Pedal cover 2005 RE Bullet  (Read 1269 times)

MARKO65

• Scooter
on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:28 pm
The brake pedal on my RE Bullet is dangerously low and hard to reach, I tried adjusting peg but no help. Does anyone make a brake lever pedal cover so that it raises it more and gives me more real-estate. I had one on one of my sportsters years ago.

Marko

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:19 pm
You should be able to just adjust the brake pedal stopper bolt.  It's located just above where the brake pedal mounts to the frame.  Just loosen the jam nut and set the pedal height where you need it and retighten the jam nut.  Make sure you readjust the brake itself.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

MARKO65

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:57:27 pm
Scottie...what do you mean make sure i  re-adjust the brake itself?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:38 am
If you readjust the pedal stop so that the pedal is resting at a higher position, the brake rod that runs back to the rear brake will require adjustment.
If you don't adjust it, it the pedal will go clear down to its present braking position before it does anything.

After you loosen the stop bolt and adjust it so the pedal is at the height you want it to be, re-tighten the jam nut.
Then go to the rear of the bike and notice where the rod passes thru the brake arm that is on the rear brake.
There is a nut on the rod that will need adjusting.  This nut usually has a hollowed out area on its forward face that mates with the rear brake arm.

I like to put the bike on the center stand so the rear wheel is in the air.
Once done, tightening the adjusting nut while turning the rear wheel will begin to apply the brake even though no one is pressing the brake pedal.
If this happens, unscrew the nut a turn or two so the rear wheel can turn freely.  Then try the pedal to see if it moves to your liking.  If not, play with the adjustment nut a bit more. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary