Author Topic: Anybody got a tape measure handy?  (Read 1342 times)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
on: October 18, 2013, 07:55:11 pm
My C5 is finally ready to be picked up from warranty repair at my dealer. It's been there a month.  :(
I'm headed down tomorrow and think it will fit in the back of my truck; but need to confirm the length.
I know the spec sheet says 54" but can someone tell me for sure what the longest point from end to end is?
I think I can put it into the back of my little truck diagonally.
Thanks!

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:55 pm
I measured 7 feet from leading most point of front tire to just pat the rear light.  I may have had about an inch extra front and rear in that measurement.

The 54" would be the "wheelbase" which is front tire contact patch to rear tire contact patch.

The measurement I made (7 feet) would be tire touching front of truck bed wall to an inch or two past the rear tail light for clearing the tail gate.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:15:12 pm
Thank you! In the office now but will be grabbing the tape and confirming when I get home. Can't wait to get the bike home again. It's been a long month just looking at a picture of it on the computer screen.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:26:34 pm
Most people I know, strap the bike down well (fore & aft)with the front wheel centered against the front bulkhead, with the tailgate down.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 06:31:01 pm
Maybe still easier to ride it home?

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:23:48 pm
My gal is home again ;)  It's been a very long wait while it was in the shop. The dealer that I bought my C5 from is about 185 miles from me. It would be a great ride home; but getting there would be a problem. It fit in the back of the Frontier Crew Cab just fine.
It's great it have it back home again. It has been a long month. I just got back from a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer a few minutes ago. My custom license plate had arrived while the bike was away. We have inspection stickers on our license plates here, so I had to go get an inspection sticker for my new plate.
About a half dozen in the Japanese bike shop came out to take a look at my Enfield. Everyone was pretty impressed with the look of it. The guy who did the inspection likes retro as I do and really enjoyed looking her over.
There's a big Harley shop next door and as I rode away a couple of older bikers noticed my Enfield and smiled and nodded approval at me.
It's really a fun bike.  ;D

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:10 am
Stopped by a local bone yard today to look around for ideas to do a luggage carrier for my bags. Everyone came out to check out my ride, too. Nice feeling knowing the illuminati appreciate a good thing when they see it.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.