Author Topic: Wal-Mart worker: Fired for helping assaulted woman... WTH???  (Read 1706 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20131017&id=17011818

Wal-Mart worker: Fired for helping assaulted woman

HARTLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A Michigan man says he was fired from his job at Wal-Mart after he tried to help a woman being assaulted in the parking lot of one of the retail giant's stores and ended up fighting with her attacker.

Kristopher Oswald told WXYZ-TV in Detroit (http://bit.ly/18qGyBh ) that Wal-Mart has policies against workplace violence to prevent employees from assaulting co-workers or tackling a shoplifter, but that it appears that nothing allows for them to assist in situations of imminent danger and self-defense.

A spokeswoman for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. told The Associated Press on Thursday that while the company understood Oswald's intentions, his actions violated company policy.

"We had to make a tough decision, one that we don't take lightly, and he's no longer with the company," company spokeswoman Ashley Hardie said.

Oswald, 30, said he was in his car on his break about 2:30 a.m. Sunday when he saw a man grabbing a woman. He said he asked her if she needed help and the man started punching him in the head and yelling that he was going to kill him. Oswald said he was able to get on top of the man, but then two other men jumped him from behind.

Livingston County sheriff's deputies arrived and halted the fight.
Oswald said the Hartland Township store's management gave him paperwork saying that "after a violation of company policy on his lunch break, it was determined to end his temporary assignment." Oswald had worked for Wal-Mart for about seven weeks and said he would not have been considered a permanent employee until after his 180-day probation.

"The last thing I expected was to not have a job," Oswald said.

___

Information from: WXYZ-TV, http://www.wxyztv.com
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:44:18 pm
I could say "welcome to Michigan" but that would be pretty cynical wouldn't it?
 Roverman from the undemocratic state.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:07 pm
Too bad one of Walmarts managers wasn't the one being assaulted. "Sorry, can't help you, company policy".
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:59:19 pm
Let's hope the woman sues WalMart for being assaulted in their parking lot.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:27 pm
They're cheap paying assholes. He's better off without the job.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:54 pm
I could say "welcome to Michigan" but that would be pretty cynical wouldn't it?
 Roverman from the undemocratic state.

Instead, Roverman, just say, "welcome to employment at Wal-Mart".  This guy deserves a medal, and he gets a pink slip - no wonder so many witnesses to violence just stand and gawk these days...

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:53:05 am
Everything today is either backwards or upside down.Yeah,it aint Michigan,it is Wally.Hope the hero can find another 29 hours a week job soon.
I hope he wins the lottery,actually.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 02:19:15 pm
Insurance companies and liability is the driving force behind these type of policies.  Incredible injustice for the temp guy helping a stranger in danger...  Seems like an open door policy at Walmart for criminals.  No one is going to intercede you while your vandalizing, abducting, or stealing on WM property. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 04:27:20 pm
Too bad, he still a hero in my books and maybe someone feels the same way and will give him employment with better prospects...
Oh Magoo you done it again