Author Topic: avl performance kit????  (Read 12475 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:45 am
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/performance-kit-for-avl-models.html

what is in the kit i couldnt find it on here??

I already have a free flow with a mikuni tm 32
i would like to get a 535 kit but there is not one that i am aware of.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:03:07 am
I've not seen a 535 option on NfieldGear.  Check out Hitchcocks in the UK:
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-performancekits

Scroll down a bit for the electra X kit.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:51 pm
ugh i just showed you..... theres a link to it.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:27 pm
Yes you did. Tell me, where does it say anything about the 535?  It doesn't. Why not just call them and satisfy your question.

Look around their site and you might find something like: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/performance/upgraded-premium-piston.html
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:45 am
man im not trying to argue.  I was just wondering if anybody had purchased it or knew anything about it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:29 am
I know that they make a flat top 535 piston, and you can have your barrel bored to fit it.
I don't know what they have in that "kit" that you referenced.
The extra displacement is worth it, because the AVL port is too big for the expected normal rev range of the bike. The added displacement will add port demand, and it will use the port better at the moderate revs. I don't know if the flat top will push the compression beyond what the chamber can handle using pump gas. Most AVL mods that I have heard about which use higher compression have had issues with detonation, unless they use Bullet Whisperer's adjustable ignition box for the AVL. I would consider BW's ignition box to be a critical part of any AVL hot-rodding.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:05:08 am
where could i get BW's ignition?

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:45 am
I was talking to BW (Paul Henshaw) recently and he did mention that he ran out of those CDI boxes but according to him Hitchcock's performance TCI is pretty much based on his Ignition unit. So it looks like AVL'ers can use them too.

Tom - About the compression part - I thought the 535 piston alone would bump the compression by loads right? In that case there isn't any way to get the squish band corrected ? or there is a way to do it?

Regards,
Sanket

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:12:24 am
I was talking to BW (Paul Henshaw) recently and he did mention that he ran out of those CDI boxes but according to him Hitchcock's performance TCI is pretty much based on his Ignition unit. So it looks like AVL'ers can use them too.

Tom - About the compression part - I thought the 535 piston alone would bump the compression by loads right? In that case there isn't any way to get the squish band corrected ? or there is a way to do it?

Regards,
Sanket

Sanket,
The extra displacement will increase the compression some, all by itself. But the piston is a flat top, and I don't have the data on how much compression that will add.

Regarding the squish, it needs to be within less than .060" from the head, and no closer than .020" from the head at TDC . This can be achieved by setting the deck height of the barrel by machining the barrel down so that the piston comes all the way to the top, and then the thickness of the gasket will typically be enough to set the squish gap.
However, there needs to be enough room for the valves, so that they don't hit the piston at TDC, so that clearance would need to be checked. And bringing the piston up that high might cause compression to be too much. That would require some higher octane fuel, or some piston or chamber relieving to work with the available fuel octane. Squish can help to use higher compression, but it's not a miracle. It has limits too. I think you found out that 175 psi is about the limit for your AVL, didn't you?

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:38:13 am
Yes, I did read basanti's post somewhere where he mentioned that 175 psi was safe for him. I guess, I will for go for the S cams and then work on the 500, if not satisfied, then I can prolly get a 535 piston for the AVL. Or maybe use the 535 piston from UCE, if that's a flat top piston.

Also, is it possible to set the squish clearance right with the UCE500's piston? They aren't flat tho.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:31:10 pm
Yes, I did read basanti's post somewhere where he mentioned that 175 psi was safe for him. I guess, I will for go for the S cams and then work on the 500, if not satisfied, then I can prolly get a 535 piston for the AVL. Or maybe use the 535 piston from UCE, if that's a flat top piston.

Also, is it possible to set the squish clearance right with the UCE500's piston? They aren't flat tho.

The UCE uses a piston with the same compression height and pin, so they are interchangeable with the AVL.
The examples of UCE engines that I have seen have not made proper use of the squish band either. But, in any of these AVL or UCE engines, they can be made to have the correct squish with proper engine building methods. This will bring the piston closer to the head, and it may push the compression over the safe limit for the fuel, which might require some changes to the piston dish or to the chamber volume.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:44 pm
so as anyone been able to have a 535 AVL that is somewhat reliable???

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:44 pm

If you build it right, then it will be reliable. This could possibly entail more work than you might wish to do. But, it is definitely do-able.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:03 pm

Before you beef up the bike's power, work on the crank first. That's the weakest link. These AVL cranks will last from 20,000kms till 45000kms at max. Some even die out earlier, it's because the way it is made and some serious cost cutting that was done by RE. The bearings rest directly on the conrod and there isn't any hardened outer race to protect it.

To be honest that's what happened to mine, last time I checked it had lateral play, so I need to rip it apart and get the crank sorted. If you do it right then you won't have any issues with the crank, once done - you can go for all the crazy stuff. With Paul Henshaw's (BW) cams, you will be revving past 5500 barrier and you will max out revs at 7500 rpm + some compression bumping and you'll be all set :)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 09:05:16 pm
im eager to learn.  although my 2007 avl electra only has 5000 miles on it.  im sure ill just wait until it goes to try a 535