Author Topic: Broken shifter\lever + possible contributors  (Read 7687 times)

Col_Shaggy

• Scooter
on: October 14, 2013, 11:57:20 pm
So I just got back from a camping trip to Moab, one in which I hauled my C5 Military down in the back of a toy hauler trailer. During the trip I rode my bike out to Grand Junction CO. and back. This wasn't long after the 600th mile on my odometer. I've been following the break in guidelines religiously and the ride went well.
Upon coming back I decided to go for a ride and I took it over to the gas station. It ran a little rough on the way over to the station but I got there okay. When i tried to restart the bike, after gassing up, I ran into a problem that has plagued me since I got the bike.
That is, every time I turn off the bike in neutral, the neutral light doesn't come on when I turn the key back on and the bike acts like it has no power at all. The solution I have used for this is to turn the bike off and shift it into first, or second whichever one will catch, then turn the key back on and shift it into neutral to start it.
When I tried that this time the shift lever clunked and just fell down. Now it's just hanging there and, while it can move back and forth, the shifter and the shaft attached to it won't come out of the transmission. It's not leaking any fluids either.
There aren't any RE service centers in Utah, that I am aware of, so I'm hoping this is an easy fix.
2013 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:08 am
Probably, the shifter has disengaged inside the right hand case.  It's fairly easy to fix.  If you put the bike on the side stand you won't even lose much oil, though if you drain the oil it will probably be less messy.

With the bike on the sidestand, remove the right side cover.  Some oil is going to drip down.  Towards the rear you'll see where the shift linkage engages.  Either something got bent or there's too much side play.  Bend it back or remove the shift lever from the shaft and put some washers between it and the right side case to take up the slack.  Put the right side cover back.  You can re-use the gasket or use some Permatex Black instead (follow package directions).  Top up the oil and you should be good.

Here's a pic:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11462.msg134893.html#msg134893

Also, the original problem, many times you can get the neutral light to com on by jut wiggling the shift lever up and down in neutral, no need to actually get to1st or second.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:10:26 am by Ducati Scotty »

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:12:53 am
Still under warranty...
Let someone else fix it...
Like dealer.
But its good to know how to fix it for others not under warranty
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:16 am
Oh yeah, there's that too :D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:26 am
The warranty is nice, but for those of us with no dealer nearby, it doesn't hurt to get some input about what the fix may be like...

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:56 am
...Here's a pic:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11462.msg134893.html#msg134893 ...

This is a stupid question, but is that pic of a right side shift (as opposed to my 2013 Military C5 which is left side shift) or am I just looking at it wrong?
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:11 am
Picture is of the right side engine with case removed.  It is a left side shift.  The shift shaft goes thru the left side and over to the right side of the engine as shown.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:02:59 am
Here is how to keep it from popping out again.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14575.0.html

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:18:20 am
Like others said, just wiggling the shift lever while the transmission is in neutral a bit will usually get the neutral light to come on and close the circuit to get the bike to start.

An easier way to over-ride the neutral switch lockout is to just pull in the clutch lever on the left handlebar.  It has a switch in it that bypasses the neutral switch.  Very handy if you accidentally kill the bike while sitting at a stop light. Pull in the clutch, hit the start button, walla! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:19 am
The warranty is nice, but for those of us with no dealer nearby, it doesn't hurt to get some input about what the fix may be like...
Hear Hear !
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:40 am
Here is how to keep it from popping out again.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14575.0.html
 Nice one GSS . I have some play in my system two so I'm gonna do this when I swap the drive cog next week . I would've missed this post the first time around so cheers .!

GSS
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:22:44 pm
This is a stupid question, but is that pic of a right side shift (as opposed to my 2013 Military C5 which is left side shift) or am I just looking at it wrong?

It's LH shift. The shifter part referred to here is the vertical tab that's ahead of the sprocket. It goes into a U shaped receptacle that moves back and forth to work the shifter cam. The shaft sticking out is the kick starter.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Col_Shaggy

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:09 pm
Thanks for the replies.
As I look through the replies I'm pretty sure this is what has happened with my bike and I'll keep in mind the neutral thing for when it's up and running again. It's good to know it's a relatively simple problem, and not something that went disastrously wrong.
Since I live in Utah I don't have a dealer or service center nearby, but there are several motorcycle shops\service centers within a few miles of my home. I doubt I could warranty work done through them but I'll shoot an EMail off to RE customer service and ask around the shops and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.
2013 C5 Military