Author Topic: Just Curious  (Read 2519 times)

Snobrd

• Scooter
on: June 19, 2008, 11:51:28 am
The Military REs are very cool.  Just wondering why the don't make them in a flat OD color instead of the glossy?
"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth."  Lillian Hellman

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:52:01 am
I don't know if it is correct but I have had some flat od and black bikes in the past and you can never clean them.  I had an old Kawasaki that was flat green but as soon as you washed it the color would get all weird and splotchy.  Same with the black one. 
Fir Na Dli

greenolive

• Scooter
  • They like to be ridden...
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:22:48 am
i'm not sure what year the military you were looking at was. i have an 07 and it seems pretty flat od to me. i know the bikes before 05, i think, had gloss paint with pinstripes and a lot more shiny silver ( timing case,primary cover, rims, etc.)

i'm with you. should be flat.
07 Military
06 Triumph Scrambler

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 03:25:13 am
I have WW2 military vehicles,all painted flat OD. The main problem is oil stains-oil will not just wipe off like on gloss paint-it soaks in, and attracts and holds dust and dirt. A freshly painted vehicle looks old and weathered in a short time.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

blackadder

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:31:08 am
I agree that the military flat paint is not easy to clean. I am very happy with my '08 Military. Everybody wants know what year model it is and if I restored it myself. I will tell them the truth depending on the person. Sometimes I will lie and say it's a 55 model. All the wankers on their 20K Harleys go nuts over it. This bike is a blast and and you can't beat the price!
C. Loyd, -2008 RE Bullet Military, 2006 Triumph Speedmaster

geoffbaker

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:10 pm
I agree that the military flat paint is not easy to clean. I am very happy with my '08 Military. Everybody wants know what year model it is and if I restored it myself. I will tell them the truth depending on the person. Sometimes I will lie and say it's a 55 model. All the wankers on their 20K Harleys go nuts over it. This bike is a blast and and you can't beat the price!

Hear, hear! I love the reaction to my 2000. Especially from the guys on the HD's and Goldwings...

I see you have tastefully named yourself after my favorite TV show of all time. Good job!

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:13:00 pm
My comment has nothing to do with the OD paint scheme.

I have a 05 Classic w/sidecar & like the "Adder" sometimes it's just easier to say it's a '55. I told one guy it was a 2005 based on a 1955 model. He all but called my a liar! Said he knew a rebuilt classic when he saw one. I humbly agreed!  :D
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry