Author Topic: Front wheel puncture - odd (factory) cause  (Read 1698 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 20, 2008, 05:13:28 pm
I had a front wheel puncture the other evening. When  I got the tube out I could see that it was punctured, but I couldn't find any evidence that anything had penetrated the tyre.

When I got the tyre off, I found about a tablespoon of hard rubber pellets rolling around inside.  The smallest were the size of grains of sugar, and the largest were the size of a quarter-inch ball bearing, with all sizes in between.  Looking at the tube again, I could see that the area around the pucture had been abraded so it appears that the little pile of rubber pellets had fallen to the bottom of the tyre when it was fitted and then been pinned between the tyre and the tube when the tube was inflated at the factory.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:37:48 pm
It's hard to say whether the rubber balls were the cause of the abrasion or the result of it. It's a new one on me. The tube must have been worn pretty thin to just start leaking . At how many miles did this happen? It's funny , just when I think I've seen all the failure modes, the Bullets invent new ones.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:28:58 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.