Author Topic: The Winding Road through Europe with a C5  (Read 3104 times)

Finnrider

• Scooter
on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:40 pm
I've just returned back home to Finland from my road trip from the Baltic Sea to the Mediterranean with my C5.

The route took me from the Baltic Sea coast of Germany to Malaga in Spain, a total of 1600 miles in 15 days. I was mostly driving on the smaller roads, avoiding the highways and basically any road with a speed limit over 55 mph.

Along the way were some of the very best riding locations in Europe: the Harz mountain range, Thuringian Forest and Black Forest in Germany, through Switzerland from Lake Konstanz to the valley of the river Rhone. In France from Chamonix near Mont Blanc to the Perenees, and the Spanish east coast with its mountainous wine-growing region, all the way to Costa del Sol, almost at Gibraltar.

The Bullet Classic EFI C5 is a solid road bike even for long distance driving. I had no technical problems at all, and all the attention I got was positive. I had about 50 pounds of stuff with me, in the side panniers and on the rear carrier. The average fuel consumption was 65 mpg.

The bike is a 2012 model. When I started my trip it had already 4750 miles on it.  For this trip I replaced the original headlight, indicators, brake disc, brake pads and brake shoes. All those parts ordered from Hitchcocks in Britain.

The bike will stay the winter in Spain. Next spring I'll bring it back, this time taking the more easterly route via Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and the small Baltic countries Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

I genuinely recommend Royal Enfield with the UCE engine for long road trips. I don't see how the trip would have been any better with a modern touring bike, like BMW or Triumph, probably less interesting in fact.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:29:21 pm by Finnrider »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:08 am
Wow, that sounds like one fun ride with some beautiful views.  Thanks for sharing!  Do you happen to have any more pics to share?   :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:01 am
Sounds like an awesome trip.  You should put together a ride report with some pics.

Cheers,

Dan K.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:40 am
Yes, please!  Most of us must live vicariously through you guys who are able to do some proper long-distance rides...

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:33 am
beautiful story, ride and bike... envy. cannot wait to do these trips.. and yes, post more photos please!
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Finnrider

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:45:46 pm
More pics from Winding roads of Europe:

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:59:49 pm
Beautiful!  I don't know how I'd stay on the road - I'd be looking everywhere but where I was going!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:59:33 am
Finnrider: Thanks for the pics, I miss the beauty of Europe...Looks like great riding ahead. Looks like that bike is working out for you...
Oh Magoo you done it again

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 01:37:41 am
Finnrider,
Thanks for the pics, looks and sound like a great ride. And thanks for the endorsement of the bike for a sustained trip. Some of us are thinking of a long haul and it's good to hear of successful runs with few or no problems.
Ride on...
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:41:08 am
Those views look absolutely breath taking, thanks for sharing those.  That must have been one memorable adventure. 

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King