Author Topic: spark plus seem to have changed?  (Read 5572 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:07 pm
6 is what most people use, 7 is cooler and 5 is hotter.  For NGK anyway, I think most other brands higher numbers mean hotter.

I swapped out for an NGK because my idle hunted, especially when cold, and this helped immediately.  I've used both a 6 and a 7 without issue.  I'm sure any brand, including Bosch, could be used so long as the heat range is right and it's a single electrode.  I think it's the dual electrode of the Bosch that causes the problems.  Aside from that, it's basically the same as every other plug in production.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:56:33 pm

I think it's the dual electrode of the Bosch that causes the problems.  Aside from that, it's basically the same as every other plug in production.

Scott

That could very well be Scott..... but I don't know why.  I don't think there is any advantage for a duel ground strapped plug. It's gonna ark at the path of least resistance.....  Maybe the duel ground straps acts to dissipate heat quicker,like a heat sink, so it acts like a colder plug. Just a guess though....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:11:32 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 11:19:16 pm
As I understand, it's used in aviation and other critical applications to be redundant.  If one electrode melts or falls off, there's another there and the motor keeps turning.  I'm not sure if they chose it on the RE for emissions or some other purpose, but like lots of others here, as soon as I swapped it for an NGK my bike ran way better.  Solid idle and stopped stalling.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:58 am
As I understand, it's used in aviation and other critical applications to be redundant.  If one electrode melts or falls off, there's another there and the motor keeps turning.  I'm not sure if they chose it on the RE for emissions or some other purpose, but like lots of others here, as soon as I swapped it for an NGK my bike ran way better.  Solid idle and stopped stalling.

Scott

Makes sense .   Curious Scott, did you ever have an opportunity to check your base TPS voltage from the factory ? And if so, what was the reading ?  Mine was low....  Under .6v  But no problem with the stock Bosch plug at the time.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:04 am
My idle TPS from factory was 0.61V. Did change it once to make it a bit 'richer', but returned it back to 0.61V. Been like that ever since.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:47:17 am
My idle TPS from factory was 0.61V. Did change it once to make it a bit 'richer', but returned it back to 0.61V. Been like that ever since.

Any issues with the stock plug  JVS ? 

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:15 am
To be honest, even with constant cleaning of the stock plug, it would end up looking quite fouled after every 300km or so. That is with the stock TPS voltage and rides lasting more than 20-30mins or even longer rides. The bike would run okay and never really showed any signs of trouble if I remember correctly. Only the idle was a bit erratic. And a lot of soot over the double electrodes, not sure why.

Then I swapped to the BPR6ES after reading the feedback given here on the forum. The idle RPM had increased staight after the swap, so I decreased it. After that, everytime I've taken it out to clean it up etc on service intervals as highlighted in the manual or just for inspection, the electrode part has never shown signs of running too rich or too lean. Always has shown me light brown/tannish tinge on the electrode, with carbon deposits only on the outer ring of the plug (Surrounding the electrode). I'm running the EFI silencer with the mechanical baffle out, leaving the perma-perforated baffle in it. The system has adjusted to it well, with rare-occasional backfiring.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:09:00 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 03:06:03 am
To be honest, even with constant cleaning of the stock plug, it would end up looking quite fouled after every 300km or so. That is with the stock TPS voltage and rides lasting more than 20-30mins or even longer rides. The bike would run okay and never really showed any signs of trouble if I remember correctly. Only the idle was a bit erratic. And a lot of soot over the double electrodes, not sure why.

Then I swapped to the BPR6ES after reading the feedback given here on the forum. The idle RPM had increased staight after the swap, so I decreased it. After that, everytime I've taken it out to clean it up etc on service intervals as highlighted in the manual or just for inspection, the electrode part has never shown signs of running too rich or too lean. Always has shown me light brown/tannish tinge on the electrode, with carbon deposits only on the outer ring of the plug (Surrounding the electrode). I'm running the EFI silencer with the mechanical baffle out, leaving the perma-perforated baffle in it. The system has adjusted to it well, with rare-occasional backfiring.

Interesting JVS .  Sounds like it is about perfect now. And particularly the way your idle speed increased ,with what I think is the hotter NGK 6 plug.  I actually think the stock Bosch plug acts more like an NGK with a colder heat range of 8 .... 

As to why ?  My bet is it's what your TPS is set at.  Yours was .61v, mine was at .57v...  Higher voltage, richer across the range. Like when you start the bike on that rich idle, before the 02 sensor heats up and it's in closed loop.  Lower TPS voltage... leaner across the range.  So I could get away with a colder plug.   I think your AFR's were a little too rich, for the heat range of the stock plug.  Not getting to the self cleaning temp that the plug should be at.    Where as in my case it was.   It's what i'm thinking anyway...... And I'm thinking based on that, we should be fine with an NGK with a 6 OR 7 heat range.  BTW, when the bike was stock, I used a 7 in the summer and a 6 in the winter.