Author Topic: Bulldog Customs Turbo Enfield Twin Project  (Read 9784 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 04:22:55 pm
I wonder if Scottie J has a lemon tree that he pees on everyday...  ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:24 pm
I wonder if Scottie J has a lemon tree that he pees on everyday...  ;D

I'm not sure what that means, but it's funny.  LOL

Ace -  I was shooting for 160.  It looks like I need to shoot for 170.  :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:37 pm
The 736cc engine has a few parts available that can allow for a fair amount more horse power than the old 692cc engines. A 750 engine can be made to fit a Chief type frame too. Hitchcocks has the paired cylinder castings that would really help beef the bottom end and the 750s already had the 3/8" studs to hold the cylinders on. The 700s only have the 5/16" studs and they can't really take much more horse power than the final editions were set up for. They used to break all the time  under harsh use. Using 3/8" studs helps but the cases fret and the cylinders move around too much for really high HP output.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I am cautioning you that there is a lot that would need to be done to get it to work and work for a long time. I rode a Honda CX500 turbo way back in the day and that thing would kill you in the corners if you got on it too hard. The turbo would generally kick in at the wrong time and the shaft drive torque would break the rear tire loose at the worst possible times. That thing was scarry to me. I learned quick not to punch it in the corners.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:42:22 pm by rotorwrench »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:07 pm
I already planned on replacing the studs with 3/8" ARP custom cylinder studs.  As far as the motors weaknesses, I've been researching this for close to a year and I've found that the number one cause for catastrophic failure is the connecting rods breaking, which will grenade any motor.  The crank and bearings itself are actually the beefiest crank setup known for vintage British twins with massive 45mm rod journals and ball bearing main bearings.  The biggest actual problem I am going to have is the head gaskets blowing out, which the ARP studs should help eliminate.  Also, I'm going to have Cometic make me some custom solid copper .063 thick head gaskets to get a better crush and help eliminate gasket blow outs.

FYI  If I could get my motor to break the tire loose in mid-turn, that'd be sick!  I'd be drifting all the turns!!!

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:30 pm
Scottie, are you independently wealthy or selling your kids? 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 04:10:38 pm
When you mention the bottom end, you are getting into the other ploblem with the Enfield twins. The rocker piston oil pump puts out an adequate supply although a gear rotor type would be more efficient. The weak point is the oil feed plug. It doesn't do all that well at high rpm but can be modified to use a nylon or delron bobbin seal to replace the old rubber bobbin seal. This helps but you have to shim the thing perfectly to eliminate oil loss around the seal. Enfield Precision Engineers changed the design with the series II Interceptor but they used the same design that AMC/Norton used and they were also prone to failure but you can't take them out and check them like you can the old style oil feed plug & bobbin seal. You have to pull the whole timing cover off.  With these antiquated systems, you never really know whether your getting a good supply of oil to the bottom end or not. You just have to say a prayer and go.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:23:07 pm by rotorwrench »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 02:43:20 pm
Scottie, are you independently wealthy or selling your kids? 

None of the above.  That's why it's going to take so long to build.  If I was rich, I'd already be working on having all the machine work done and have all my custom parts already being made!   :)

When you mention the bottom end, you are getting into the other ploblem with the Enfield twins. The rocker piston oil pump puts out an adequate supply although a gear rotor type would be more efficient. The weak point is the oil feed plug. It doesn't do all that well at high rpm but can be modified to use a nylon or delron bobbin seal to replace the old rubber bobbin seal. This helps but you have to shim the thing perfectly to eliminate oil loss around the seal. Enfield Precision Engineers changed the design with the series II Interceptor but they used the same design that AMC/Norton used and they were also prone to failure but you can't take them out and check them like you can the old style oil feed plug & bobbin seal. You have to pull the whole timing cover off.  With these antiquated systems, you never really know whether your getting a good supply of oil to the bottom end or not. You just have to say a prayer and go.

Duly noted.

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 03:17:58 pm
I think it's cool
Sometimes people just want to make something that they really want, and the time and effort and expense is worth it.

All high performance builds are fraught with peril. It's part of the nature of pushing things to their limits.
"We shall overcome!"
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:50 pm
I think it's cool
Sometimes people just want to make something that they really want, and the time and effort and expense is worth it.

All high performance builds are fraught with peril. It's part of the nature of pushing things to their limits.
"We shall overcome!"

My sentiments exactly.  It's in the nature of a true Hot Rodder.  It's about pushing envelope into a new realm.  Majority of everyone says I can't do this and I'm just going to blow the motor.  I say ANYTHING can be done when approached in a logical way, acknowledge the known faults of the motor and making them better and stronger.  I feel that by accomplishing the previously unachievable is not only a mile stone in Royal Enfield performance, but also a huge achievement in the entire motorcycle scene.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 10:48:56 pm
Exactly what Ace says, nothing wrong with what your doing. Look what Aniket has done with his project. Nothing ventured nothing gained.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 02:40:28 am
Two guys, Jimmy Enz, and Don Sliger ran Enfields at Bonneville in the 60's.
Jimmy died in the late 60's, and his mechanic, Don Sliger took over the effort.
Don set several records, mainly the first unfaired motorcycle to break 200 mph with a twin engined Interceptor at 205 mph.
He also set a record of 160 mph with a single engined normally aspirated Interceptor running methanol.
You've got your work cut out for you topping either of those.

This is one of Jimmy Enz's bikes taken in 1962 by a guy I know who was part of the Cooper Motors crew who provided sponsorship to Mr. Enz, and assistance to the owner of the red bike in the background, a bloke from N-Zed who was making his first trip to Bonneville.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 11:24:59 am

"None of the above.  That's why it's going to take so long to build.  If I was rich, I'd already be working on having all the machine work done and have all my custom parts already being made!   :)"

The journey is the destination !
   Hey Scottie , this Is gonna be a fantastic build and I'm looking  forward to following all your trials and tribulations ! And what a great machine to work:)
 That injector kit looks very interesting- I guess it'd work pretty well on a bullet too- maybe add a little nitrous oxide- it's cheating I know but sure could be fun!

"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:06 pm
I finally watched The World's Fastest Indian last night.  What a great film!  Not only is the story fantastic but a very well put together movie with great acting.  And watching the movie has given me new found inspiration.  I know I said previously that I was aiming for a top speed of 170 mph.  My new goal is 210 mph.  Burt Munro's speed record has stood for a long time.  I think it's time someone new takes a stab at it.  I just need to gear the bike right.  I should be able to build enough boost that if I go with say a 2.12 final gear ratio I should be hopefully able to break 200 mph.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:50 pm
I spoke with a guy at the bonneville salt flats and found out that I can't run EFI I'm the vintage class, so it looks like I'm going to go with extreme high compression pistons.  I'm thinking either 13:1 or 14:1 ratio and using Hitchcocks 1 piece alloy cylinder for the interceptor.  The additional height of the cylinder walls should allow for better valve clearance and of course better cooling.  I'll run a dual carb set up and scoop the fairing on both sides to provide a ram air system.  I'm also thinking of creating a water mister inside of the fairing to help cool the motor at WOT.

Scottie