Author Topic: Bulldog Customs Turbo Enfield Twin Project  (Read 9786 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 12, 2013, 02:09:41 am
Well, it's official.  I'm going to do this damn thing!  It's going to take quite a while to complete, but it is for sure going to happen.  I now have a 1959 RE Indian Chief that is mostly complete.  I've been putting a lot of thought into this and basically have it all blueprinted in my head.  The biggest issue needing to be addressed is the bottom end.  I've decided that I'm going with the best and having Carrillo build custom rods and pistons.  They guarantee them to be balanced within +/-1 gram.  Then I'm going to have the entire rotating assembly balanced to 10K RPMs.  That should take care of any bottom end issues.  Next I'm having Colt Cams completely redesign the camshafts for higher light and longer duration.  That in conjunction with a full port/polish and valve job should get some serious air flowing in there.

For the turbo I'm going with the Garrett G1241.  It's Garrett's smallest turbo specifically designed for 400-1200cc engines.  Combine that with the Ecotron custom EFI kit and I have now have a respectable forced induction set up.   ;D  I'm thinking of going with a Boyer for the ignition system as they seem to be reliable and have some programabilitiy.  And I'm definitely going to be installing a Newby belt drive system to handle all the HP.  I'll post some pics when I get a moment.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 02:43:33 am
Far Out!
and
OMG, OMG, OMG!
 8)

'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:32:05 am
The EFI Kit

The Turbo

A Link To CP-Carrillo About Their Custom Pistons
http://www.cp-carrillo.com/Tech/PistonTech/tabid/74/Default.aspx

A Link To CP-Carrillo About Their Custom Rods
http://www.cp-carrillo.com/Tech/RodTech/tabid/76/Default.aspx

A Link To Colt Cams For The Custom Camshaft Grinding
http://coltcams.com/

A Link To Falicon Crankshafts For The Rotating Assembly Balancing
http://www.faliconcranks.com/index.html

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 03:34:47 am
The Faring From Hitchcock's That Will Be Going On

The Package  :)

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 03:46:20 am
 8)  I'm drooling.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:17 am
Wow!  Quite a load of work for you.  Looks like you'll be locked in a dark workshop for the Winter.  Can't wait to see the progress as it unfolds.

Cheers,

Dan K.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:21:52 pm
What a project. At least you got the cases with the removable cam covers. This looks like a first for a RE build. Great winter project. I'm jealous.     ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:35:15 pm
Cool beans!

I seriously hope you are going to use at least E85 or ethanol or methanol for fuel on this build.
Here are the reasons:
you need extra engine cooling,
you need fuel to help keep the mixture cool because you have no intercooler,
you need high octane for the boosted compression ratio,
you need high octane because you have no auto-retard for the ignition timing when it gets on the turbo. However, if you run a magneto with adjustable advance/retard, you could do it by hand with a handlebar mounted lever like they did in the old days.

Good luck!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 02:45:48 pm
Cool beans!

I seriously hope you are going to use at least E85 or ethanol or methanol for fuel on this build.
Here are the reasons:
you need extra engine cooling,
you need fuel to help keep the mixture cool because you have no intercooler,
you need high octane for the boosted compression ratio,
you need high octane because you have no auto-retard for the ignition timing when it gets on the turbo. However, if you run a magneto with adjustable advance/retard, you could do it by hand with a handlebar mounted lever like they did in the old days.

Good luck!

The plan is to run E85.  It's fairly readily available all over the Denver Metro, tho I may play around with methanol when it comes time to start breaking some speed records.   ;)  I can't remember if I mentioned it on here before or not (I know I haven't told my wife  ;D ) but my plans are to run this bike at the drag strip and do at least 1 season of bracket racing.  Then once I have everything dialed in and supremely tuned I'm headed off to the Bonneville Salt Flats and going to attempt the land speed record for the world's fastest Enfield.  Speaking of which, does anyone know/have the details for the RE speed records?  I know the guys running the Bullets are achieving around 120mph, but I can't find anything as far as the fastest recorded speed on a RE twin.  I did find this tho, but I'm not sure how much help it is, interesting none the less.

It seems hard to believe today, but once upon a time the fastest motorcycle was a Royal Enfield. Edward Magner was a Swedish army engineer. He took part in the Isle of Man TT in 1928. In the Junior event, in spite of a bad crash and having to stop for 27 minutes to repair his bike, he finished sixteenth. Back in Sweden in 1929 he appeared on the ice in Edsviken with his 996CC OHV JAP-engined Royal Enfield sidecar rig, tuned by Robban Lindholm. He set a new world record on the flying kilometer at 110.63 mph.  Then on Sunday March 9 1930,. he showed up on lake Storsjon with the same machine with a compressor. He had bad luck and the compressor blew during practice. Magner and Lindholm worked overnight to fix the bike (without compressor) and he set two world records, 117.48mph for the flying kilometer and 117.79 mph fror the flying mile. The record was in the Class G category (sidecar outfits up to 1000cc capacity). There is virtually no information about Magner out there in the internet, which is a bit of a shame.

Scottie

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 03:27:21 pm
I am not sure if this is scary or exiting Scottie! But seriously, this looks like real fun. Ace mentioned additional cooling, I would be very careful with any full fairing choices.
 As far as timing goes, I would think that waste gate tuning would be more critical there and a bit of water injection might be a consideration. Thinking out loud!
 Robert.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 03:51:42 pm
That's cheating ACE! 8) 8) 8).

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:00 pm
That is one crazy monstrosity!  But yeah, I don't think that is in the same category that I'm shooting for.  LOL

Scottie

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 05:08:41 pm
wow.. I can't wait to see the finished project and track speed..
Oh Magoo you done it again

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:05:06 pm
On one of the speed websites that I frequent, there is a guy with a 650 Triumph Bonneville who holds the ECTA flying mile speed record for normally-aspirated 650 pushrod twin class at approximately 120 mph. He has a buddy who runs a turbocharged 750 Triumph that runs about 160 mph in the one-mile event.

So, you'll want to be aiming for something faster than 160 mph.